How do you measure / dose your liquid chlorine?

JT8Diesel

Gold Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
Barrie, ON, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
So I have a 400 USG tub, and a 10k USG pool. The pool is Salt and works "swimmingly." I tried salt in the tub, and it corroded my heater tube to the point it was riddled with holes. I've replaced the heater, and I'd like to avoid that same problem again.

As such, I'll go with straight chlorine. I understand the pitfalls of using tabs and the CYA increase they cause. So far on a fresh fill I've been using dichlor and my CYA is around 20 now. I'll soon be switching to straight liquid chlorine, and I'm wondering how other people do it?

I have 12% from the pool store, that I use in my pool after big parties, heavy rain, etc. I also have a transfer pump that I use to get from the 10 litre pool store jugs into more manageable 5 litre jugs. I also have some old 2 litre jugs from bleach that I could use.

My hot tub will only require 30-50 mL (1-2 oz) per dose. I'm wondering if anyone has any ingenious storage / dosing solutions? Or is everyone just pouring from a jug?

I use these bottles to dispense chlorine and liquid muriatic acid... Take the cap off the small side, squeeze the big side, and it fills the small side to the amount you want.

There is also a discussion here What do you all use for measuring chemicals?

Attachments

• IMG_5082.JPG
    IMG_5082.JPG
    248.4 KB · Views: 71
Thanks. I found them on Amazon, about 4x the cost in Canada. I'm in the US often, but I don't want to wait a couple weeks. :)

I found another branded as "Shotstigo" that is the same thing, and equivalent pricing.

Reactions: A.O.
I have an old 2 cup measure from the kitchen.

It has ounce markings on it.

When pool math tells me I need 2 oz and 1 tablespoon I laugh and add 2 oz and a bit more.

Besides, with an O2 generator my Cl consumption varies with temperature.

I have an old 2 cup measure from the kitchen.

It has ounce markings on it.

When pool math tells me I need 2 oz and 1 tablespoon I laugh and add 2 oz and a bit more.

Besides, with an O2 generator my Cl consumption varies with temperature.
Man, how big of a hot tub do you have? 2 oz?? Pool math rarely tells me I need even 1/2 oz in my 450 gal tub.

Man, how big of a hot tub do you have? 2 oz?? Pool math rarely tells me I need even 1/2 oz in my 450 gal tub.

My tub is 334 gallons

According to Pool Math, adding 2 fluid ounces of 6% bleach raises the FC by 2.9 ppm.

I raise mine to the upper end of the range (7.0) and let it fall to the lower end (2.0) before raising it again. 3 ppm is what I normally add (and since 2 oz is 2.9 ppm, 3.0 is something like 2 oz and 2 tsp)

0.5 fl oz of 6% bleach in a 450 gal tub is 0.5 ppm of FC

I just found this handy dandy little container @ dollar general & plan to refill it w/ unadulterated bleach to use w/ my hot tub. The bottle is solid grey so it will protect the chlorine from uv.
91EA01D6-7D3F-4F67-B241-0650BF6365F0.jpeg
I used to have an old peroxide bottle but the cap broke.
I currently have a hideous gallon jug under the patio table. I just use a cheap measuring cup for dosing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My tub is 334 gallons

According to Pool Math, adding 2 fluid ounces of 6% bleach raises the FC by 2.9 ppm.

I raise mine to the upper end of the range (7.0) and let it fall to the lower end (2.0) before raising it again. 3 ppm is what I normally add (and since 2 oz is 2.9 ppm, 3.0 is something like 2 oz and 2 tsp)

0.5 fl oz of 6% bleach in a 450 gal tub is 0.5 ppm of FC
Ahhh, my bad, I was thinking muriatic acid not the bleach. Yes, I add 2 oz 10% bleach twice a day in mine...

So I have a 400 USG tub, and a 10k USG pool. The pool is Salt and works "swimmingly." I tried salt in the tub, and it corroded my heater tube to the point it was riddled with holes. I've replaced the heater, and I'd like to avoid that same problem again.

As such, I'll go with straight chlorine. I understand the pitfalls of using tabs and the CYA increase they cause. So far on a fresh fill I've been using dichlor and my CYA is around 20 now. I'll soon be switching to straight liquid chlorine, and I'm wondering how other people do it?

I have 12% from the pool store, that I use in my pool after big parties, heavy rain, etc. I also have a transfer pump that I use to get from the 10 litre pool store jugs into more manageable 5 litre jugs. I also have some old 2 litre jugs from bleach that I could use.

My hot tub will only require 30-50 mL (1-2 oz) per dose. I'm wondering if anyone has any ingenious storage / dosing solutions? Or is everyone just pouring from a jug?
Not here to add anything, but wanted to say I dig your picture of the 727...that is one of the sleekest airliners ever to grace the skies and I miss seeing 'em.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.