How do you manage disposal of leaf, pine straw, pool kill, captured in manual skimming and robot?

Bam Bam

Gold Supporter
Sep 14, 2019
Columbia, SC
There are a lot of trees in my yard. This summer has been more breezy than normal as well as hotter. I do have a pool service (confession) but betwee visits I clean the floaters.

So my stupid question, where do you empty the crud collected? Do you keep a garbage can in the pool area? Dump it in nearby woods as collected, etc?

I have an old chlorine tab bucket I carry around to deal with any organics from the skimmer basket, pump basket, etc. and I simply put it all into my mulch pile. I've never fished out a carcass, but those would get put into the garbage to avoid unwanted critters/pests going into the mulch pile.

Dump it in the woods. It came from there so put it back.

I have several deciduous trees in my yard and I can easily handle the leaves that fall into my pool. But, what really gets my goat is that I have a couple neighbors who have these tall coniferous trees that shed bushels of needles all over. I'm looking out a window now and see my trees and bushes full of needles. My pool and its surrounds have many needles as does the roof of my house - rain gutters are clogged with these dang needles. Conifers are not indigenous where I live, but folks have planted many of them. Anyway, I just toss them over the fence from whence they came.
End of rant...

I have several deciduous trees in my yard and I can easily handle the leaves that fall into my pool. But, what really gets my goat is that I have a couple neighbors who have these tall coniferous trees that shed bushels of needles all over. I'm looking out a window now and see my trees and bushes full of needles. My pool and its surrounds have many needles as does the roof of my house - rain gutters are clogged with these dang needles. Conifers are not indigenous where I live, but folks have planted many of them. Anyway, I just toss them over the fence from whence they came.
End of rant...

Tell me about it!! Ya know... Georgia pines? Surrounding my yard yet not all ours. The pool, the skimmer basket, the gutters all suffer them. UGH! And to top it off, we also have these nasty sweet gum trees with stickly gum balls that fall to the ground. Hate! Hate! Hate them!
So I'm sympathetic but there isn't a lot we can do about it .... <sigh>

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Used to throw it in the yard to compost. After spreading walking bark across the entire backyard for water conservation and to make it look nice, I now throw it in a garbage can that gets picked up as yard waste by the city.

I have some empty planters near the pool (left by previous owners). I empty the skimmers and robot baskets into those, and when they get full enough, I transfer them to the compost bin. Small dead critters (scorpions, beetles, frogs) just get included. The one dead armadillo we had got dumped in an out of the way corner and left for the vultures.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.