How do you know if you need to change out your sand in your sand filter?

sambot

Jun 1, 2018
WV
I pulled all the sand out my filter to check the laterals because I got some sand in my pool while slamming it (laterals are perfectly fine). While I have it out, should I replace it?

Here is a pic of the sand after I deep cleaned it (running a hose under it and letting the water run until it went clear)

5uJ005F.jpg

Doesn't help that I can't remember how old this sand is. 4 years ago we got the new filter, but I feel like either we used the sand from the old filter (no idea how old that sand was) OR we did some sort of 50/50 with new sand and old sand.

Also, when the sand came in my pool through the jets I was vacuuming to filter (should have done to waste) and the vacuum hose got unhooked and I didn't realize something was wrong until I saw the brown sand pouring from the jets. I turned off the pump, did a backwash and rinse, and it didn't happen again.

Part of the reason I did this is because I was slamming for 4 days without improvement (cloudy blue water you could barely see the jets a few inches from the surface). But maybe that was a chemistry problem and not the filters problem? I feel pretty confident as my 4th year slamming that I am doing the chemistry right though.

Sand doesn't expire or go bad unless someone adds a pool store product like clarifier or floc that gets to it. Perhaps it just needed a good deep clean. In your case, removing it certainly fluffed it up and it looks good from what I can tell on my screen.

Reactions: sambot
Sand doesn't expire or go bad unless someone adds a pool store product like clarifier or floc that gets to it. Perhaps it just needed a good deep clean. In your case, removing it certainly fluffed it up and it looks good from what I can tell on my screen.

That is also what I was thinking. Back in the filter it goes. Thanks so much. You're always a great help!

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.