How do I stop my backwash hose from becoming an Anaconda sequel?

DeptOfMeteors

Jul 8, 2020
Ottawa
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-15
I cut the hose to 10' or 15' because that's the amount of hose I needed to get the water away from where I didn't want it. So, I let 'em have it and the hose started flying everywhere! Fortunately, I still have another 35' to work w/. But I also think I need to relieve the pressure at the exit by cutting slits along the hose's body, similar to the vents that are cut near the muzzle of high-accuracy firearms. Unlike a firearm, these openings should be cut farther way from the exit. I've been looking up howtos on YouTube to confirm this thesis, but no one seems to want to :unsure:
This is one of the cheaper, flimsier hoses: Swimwerx SW050

You show a Pentair Clean and Clear Plus filter in your signature. That's a cartridge filter as I recall.
Why are you backwashing a cartridge filter?

Is your Whisperflo a single speed pump? Put the pump model number in your signature.

Post the model number and serial number (maybe on the bottom of the cell) of your SWG and someone can help determine which model it is

Oh yeah, I gotta change that. I just got a hold of a sand filter. I don't know the model. The pump's the same as before, but I don't know what it is at this time. I should think the model wouldn't matter so much. Isn't the advice for something like this universal?

If your pump is variable speed instead of single speed, you could lower the speed of the pump to reduce the flow rate. Not necessarily the best when backwashing, but it is possible.

Any reason you can't hard plumb the backwash line using 1.5" or 2" PVC?

Knowing the model numbers helps us to better understand your pool equipment and the capabilities of it.
Most of the time the model numbers are easily visigle on the equipment.

Hopefully you have a large sand filter. What was the reason you replaced your CCP cartridge filter?

Ok, I've had a good look at it and my pump is a WF-24 and the filter S244TC. Looking at the manual, it's not clear how many speeds the WF-24 has. Googling "pentair wf-24" yields some false positives about it being double speed, but nothing very convincing, so I think it's just 1 speed.

Well, considering my setup, a flexible hose that I can roll up again and tuck away is practical, but the main reason is that this is the hose I have right now, so I'll like to see if I can get it to work for me before I cut my loses and try something else.

The cartridges in the cartridge filter that I bought w/the house last year wouldn't let anything through--they were shot. So instead, I spent probably twice as much money on a new filter, which will hopefully pay for itself in... 5 years?

+1. I was thinking under a cinderblock once the flow is going. You'll probably have to tame it with your foot first.

I don't think trying to weigh it down is going to get anywhere. I had the put quite an effort into holding it steady. I believe the answer is to reduce the pressure at the outlet. I had a professional tell me to just use the larger section (35' instead of 15') of the hose and see how well that works. I'll probably be trying that later today.

Reactions: Newdude
You need to run the pump at a high rpm to properly backwash your sand filter.
Using a lower rpm will produce less flow/pressure.

Where is the end of the backwash hose discharging to?
Is the discharge creating any erosion?
Maybe another discharge location and (buried) hard plumbing (PVC) will solve the issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used the remaining hose and the results were much better. I suppose there was a pressure drop over the extra 20', plus the end would have to thrash against the increased weight of more waterlogged hose. Also, putting it through 1.5' of PVC at the end improved stability even more. I guess that is why they never make them less than 25'.

Reactions: JoeSelf
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.