North Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Universal40
I have pool with attached spa. Where the line goes out TO the spa, after it leaves the check valve, it goes through about a 14 " long piece of 2" flexible PVC. Over time in the Texas sun, that Flex PVC has cracked and now it is leaking through the PVC. So my question is how do I repair this. I only have about a 2" stub sticking out of the pad where it goes to the spa. If I cut the pipe below the existing coupling, that will be the last cut I can make, because the coupling will be down to the pad at that point. Or is there some way I can remove the coupling without destroying the underlying pipe? Same goes on the check valve end. I would have to remove the Flex PVC without destroying the check valve. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am attaching an album with related pictures.https://imgur.com/a/wW7XKiu

You are backed-up in a corner. I was looking at various options like:
- If the leak is mid-way in the flex line, cut the flex at each end leaving about 1-2 inches sticking out, then glue a new coupler to that and start fresh?
- Not sure if you can cut the flex flush at each end and try to dremel or somehow scrape the flex from inside each female end enough to get a clean surface for new hose
- Perhaps there's a specific repair coupler fitting for situations like this, but I couldn't find it
- Of course the last resort is as you stated, cut-out each fitting (coupler and valve) and re-do everything; quite a pain and not much room left afterwards at the pad.

Thanks for your answer, I had already come to the same conclusions but I was really hoping that there was something out there that I had missed. I am still holding out hope someone has a more clever solution.

You want to use a fitting extender. You can cut that garbage flex line Off and this fitting fits over your coupling. Just make sure you give plenty of time to let the glue cure.

And if you go the next size up a coupling should fit over the check valve.

MagicMend® Extender Fittings - Magic Plastics, Inc.

Nice thread. The drill bit looks a bit aggressive for me. I have not seen the extender fittings before but they look very useful in certain applications. My personal method is to employ my best surgical skills and use a dremel cutting wheel and make 2 slices all the way down on opposing sides of the fitting. Cut all the way through the part with the old flex in it and only "3/4" way thru the part on the pipe you are trying to save, take your time and make several passes and keep checking the depth. . Then use 2 chisels from the top and drive them down into the 2 slots evenly.

That being said it looks like you might have a few other options before the risky surgery. You could try cutting the flex pipe just above the old fitting and leave enough to simply glue on a new coupling.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wound up being able to salvage the check valve and coupling at the bottom. I was not able to use the RAM Bit due to not enough clearance. Since I was not able to source flex PVC near me, I used regular PVC and had some fun with fittings to make it work, even if it's kind of ugly. I will take pictures and post them when I get a chance.

You're probably right. I'm actually amazed it didn't leak after I put flow through it. I will probably cut it out and try again when I'm not so busy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.