How do I prepare my pool for Hurricane/Storm?

nina_online

Bronze Supporter
May 31, 2017
Austin, TX
Hi, new pool owner in Austin,Texas.

We are lucky to be inland, so by the time it reaches us, Hurricane Harvey will be greatly diminished. We may see winds over 39 mph and rain 10+ inches.

I am wondering whether/what I need to do to the pool. Intex Ultra Frame 14' x 42", more details in sig line.

The cover we use came with the pool and is permeable, so rain water gets through.

I don't know whether the cover might get whipped off..? (We've had a trampoline fly out of our yard over the fence into a field in a past storm!)

So, should I put the cover on the pool or put it in the garage?

Surely I should put the dinky lightweight ladder in the garage?

Do anything with the equipment?

Thanks for any advice!

Nina

I would definitely remove the ladder. We had a bad storm move through a few years ago and the ladder got thrown around quite easily. (18' pool) I would probably remove the cover, too, as it will like
Y end up at the bottom of the pool or on the ground. i haven't seen Amy issues with the ultra frames getting too full. The gaps where the frame goes through allow the water to drain out, so that's a plus. Hopefully the storm isn't as bad as they are saying.

Fortunately we don't have hurricanes here, but I would put the cover inside during a severe storm. Debris will enter your pool anyway in case of heavy rain and in absence of rain you risk severe damage to your cover.

Best of luck out there!

I'd just drop the water level a couple inches. Depending on pump location and height above ground level, I'd consider turning off the breaker to the pump pad once the storms start so that if the pad gets flooded, the pump won't flood and burn out. It won't hurt to leave pad power off for a day. After you drop the pool water level, raise the FC. Up to shock level would work fine and help fight any organics that make their way into the pool.

Take any outdoor furniture, toys, tables, bbq, loose decoration etc and secure them or put them in the garage/house. You would hate to have to fish them out of your pool or your neighbors yard/tree. You also wouldn't want something poking a hole in the side.

I'm from South Florida and I know the damage that a hurricane can do. I think you have two options. The first, based on the path of the hurricane and your location, if it is coming your way directly i would take it down. The second option would be that if you decide leave it up drop the level of water down like suggested but keep in mind that these pool are plastic vinyl and any sharp flying debris can cut right through it. Good luck.

This is my first year with a AGP. I'm already thinking about my Hurricane plans.

Good notes above. Definitely watch the pump's susceptibility to get engulfed by water if that area gets flooded easily. With your above-ground pool, it will probably overfill. No worries. We'll have to wait and see how long Harvey stays in our area before adjusting water levels back to normal. Certainly secure/store anything in the area that could get blown into the pool to avoid tearing your liner. Stay safe and good luck! :swim:

I just left mine up. It weighs over 26 s. tons full of water and isn't going anywhere. I guess debris can cut it, but just chose to take the chance. It looks like we will only get a lot of rain here in Houston, hank God. Now trampolines, that would be another story :0

We may need a non muddy water source for flushing toilets.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.