How do i know it is time to change the pool sand?

coachhim

Mar 30, 2018
Oklahoma City, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
How do I know I need to change my pool sand? My water (because of TFP) is crystal clear, cant get any clearer and balanced to what I have it. I have lived here for 3 years and I have never changed the sand. Just wanted some info.

Well, if sun has expanded and it's beginning to boil the oceans then it's probably a good time to give it a check.

Just a little joke. Sand doesn't need to be routinely changed, that practice was put in place because of all the junk pool stores sell that could potentially build up and cause filtering problems. It's also a good thing for pool stores to keep in their pockets during the "throwing everything at the wall and see what sticks" portion of trying to clear a green pool. Since you're following TFP I can assume no floc or random mystery goo has made its way in to your filter, so the sand should be as pristine as the day you put it in. There is a process for deep cleaning the sand, but if it is doing its job then no reason to fix what isn't broken.

Keep doing what you're doing.

When your sand filter falls apart and you need a new one.
The original sand that was in my 25-year old filter was still fine when the filter finally needed a part that was no longer available, but I changed it out anyway as it was easier to put in new sand.

Here’s a great write up w/ videos on the deep cleaning :

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.