How do I get the collar off a Polaris 360/ 380 back up valve

Re: How do I get the collar off a Polaris 360/ 380 back up v

I emailed Polaris when my second collar split in a 5 year period and suggested a design flaw. I sent them pictures of both valves that split in the exact same place. I emailed them again today to let them know there are many with the same issue posting on pool forums and goodness knows how many more that are suffering in silence. There has to be a better design. I wish those with the problem would email them and tell your story. Their technical staff is very responsive. Strength in numbers. Website http://www.polarispool.com/Support.aspx

UnderWaterVanya said:
tbenton said:
You know what is really sad? We are just a few examples of this problem. We have scratched our heads, used every tool we own and even gone to extremes to get this THREADED collar off. I sure wish the maker of Polaris would read this forum. Surely there is something they could do with the design. I emailed Polaris and they told me it "just twists off counter clockwise". Really?

Since I haven't had the problem - I cannot contribute - but if everyone experiencing this pushed back and perhaps even shipped the errant part to them they would get the message.

UnderWaterVanya said:
Anyone try a strap wrench?
Yes, I did. But, it didn't work.

What did work for me was WD-40. I squirted it around the collar and let it seep around for a few minutes. Of course, then it was too slippery to hold on to.... So I got a t-shirt rag and tried to get a grip on the collar. Turn, turn, wipe, wipe and finally I've got a good grip and off the collar turns.

I was thinking about the same options everybody else has mentioned before I tried the WD-40. Didn't really think it would work on plastic, but it did.

YMMV. Good luck!

I normally cut into it with a hack saw until I can break the nut off by prying in the cut with a flathead screwdriver. You'll mess the threads up a little, but if you're careful, the new nut will go back on pretty easy.

thepoolman said:
I normally cut into it with a hack saw until I can break the nut off by prying in the cut with a flathead screwdriver. You'll mess the threads up a little, but if you're careful, the new nut will go back on pretty easy.

I think you missed the point that some of these are on new cases without any use - the brand new cases cannot be separated from the collars as I read it. Here's one of the comments:

Stopit said:
I purchased a new case and cannot get the collar to come off. I have tried everything from a vise to jar lid grippers. Any advice?

Polaris replacement parts carry a 90 day warranty. If you have a new backup valve that is giving you issues, you should take it back to where it came from. If you just wanna take it apart, have fun. After 90 days you gotta get that ring off somehow. Carefully cutting is the fastest way.

Congrats CUtiger....I thought about WD-40 after all the other methods including taking to Leslies but was so tired of dealing with it I gave up. I figured if Leslie's Polaris repair guy couldn't get it off...all was lost. Also we could not get the Polaris quick disconnect off the wall adaptor this year and WD40 didn't even work and it has never failed us.

happyheathen said:
Ummm...

Does this suggest that new owners should heavily lube the collar BEFORE it welds itself?
Maybe teflon tape?

Some pure silicone spray on the collar will help. Teflon tape is a no-no.

To make that effective you would need to take the collar off and therein lies the problem. It does not come off the new ones either. Even if you get if off a new one how long would the spraying last? We have no need whatsoever to take it apart unltil it breaks. One pool place suggested we take the Polaris out of the water when it was not in use to keep the collar from cracking. That is just silly. Our entire Polaris is old and stays in the water all the time in the summer and the body,etc look brand new except a bit of fading of the blue case. PLUS we have another issue when removing it when we have to for something. No matter how much pool lube we put on the quick disconnect on the wall; it will NOT come apart after a few weeks and we have to unscrew the entire wall apparatus.......ridiculous.

Oh well...
Onward

Terri
----------------------------

Qwaxalot said:
happyheathen said:
Ummm...

Does this suggest that new owners should heavily lube the collar BEFORE it welds itself?
Maybe teflon tape?

Some pure silicone spray on the collar will help. Teflon tape is a no-no.

I typically remove my Polaris after each cleaning. I did leave it in for a week recently and noticed the quick connect was hard to disconnect. Normally this is not an issue. The other thing I do is periodically pull the ring and separate the backup valve and inspect it then put it back together. So far it has not been too tight to remove.

- Sent using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Glad you have not had any problems. We are not here when it finishes cleaning around 9:30 each day and by the time we could do it its after dinner. We have had two Polaris in 25 years of having the pool and no one ever told us to take it out including our best friends who until last year owned their own pool supply/maintenance/repair company. Never had a collar problem until last summer. Oh well

Same problem here. I think from years of Chemicals it welds the plastic Together somehow. All I know is I tried all day on & off of course, :) to get it apart. No Love!

I still have hope that someone will figure out how to get it off. I priced the new valves at Leslie's yesterday......$89. A new collar is $8. WOW!

Sorry. disregard my last post. That was just for the shell. I'm going to use mine without the backup valve for a while. I will try to Lower the Thrust Setting so Polaris stays on Bottom & does not climb. It currently gets stuck in my steps. But if I could get it to stay low, that would not happen.

tbenton said:
I still have hope that someone will figure out how to get it off. I priced the new valves at Leslie's yesterday......$89. A new collar is $8. WOW!
Don't spend $89 for it. Shop Amazon or eBay. You can probably find something closer to $50. I've bought my last couple of backup valves off eBay. They don't seem to last as long as they used to....

Not to worry CUTiger...I would never pay full retail and the last one I got was very reasonable. I was merely quoting what I saw in Leslies when I was there buying tabs. Another great source for Polaris parts is Poolcenter.com.

Miracles do happen! After trying everything in the book to get the old collar off just short of taking a hammer to it - I used old fashion Duco cement (what we used to call airplane glue) all along the collar crack last year and it sealed beautifully and ok this year too BUT I had also purchased a new collar THINKING I could get the old one off and we all know how that goes (OR DOESN'T). I also purchased a new $$$ back up valve last year or year before at the cheapest price I could find JUST IN CASE. Opened the pool a few days ago and this morning the Polaris hose was detached at the valve and guess what? The top half of the valve came off complete with a LOOSE collar . I was elated and put the new collar on. For the heck of it I tried to take the collar off the new valve but it won't come off....SERIOUSLY POLARIS???

I have taken my backup valve apart dozens of times and I always use the same trick. I hold the collar part of the valve under running hot water in the sink. Twirl it around so that the whole collar gets warmed up. Dry it with a towel. Grab and twist. Sometimes it takes a minute and it usually requires a pretty good effort, but it ALWAYS works.

What a great idea! I am saving that one. I had to crack up the other day. My Polaris came undone at the hose and when I was pulling the hose up to get it out of the water I grabbed the valve and the collar came loose. Collars are so cheap so need to be able to replace and seems mine get cracks every few years. I have a spare new valve that I bought in a panic one year but hope I never use it.

uote="CorkySwine"]I have taken my backup valve apart dozens of times and I always use the same trick. I hold the collar part of the valve under running hot water in the sink. Twirl it around so that the whole collar gets warmed up. Dry it with a towel. Grab and twist. Sometimes it takes a minute and it usually requires a pretty good effort, but it ALWAYS works.[/quote]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.