Riverside, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have never had this problem before. Purchased basic softener salt from Home Depot no additives. I got lazy and dumped salt and brushed... but didn’t brush out until completely dissolved. The next morning I noticed a yellowish stain and remains of salt in same area. PebbleFina plaster. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

If you’ve ever looked inside a softener brine tank, you’ll notice one thing right away - softener salt is not clean salt. It’s fine for regenerating a softener but it does contain a small amount of dirt and sediment as it is manufactured by simply evaporating brine water out in an open field. So for pool use, you really need to add it slowly (I typically predissolve my salt in a 5 gallon pail) and brush a lot to keep the salt from causing stains. I typically run my robot at the same time.

Try rubbing the area with a thin sock or nylon full of crushed vitamin C to see if it’s iron based. If not, it may just be a dirt stain in which case a stiff brush and elevated chlorine should help to lighten it.

Sorry to hear you got a stain but salt, like any chemical, needs to be added carefully to a pool to mitigate it piling up.

Reactions: drummerman951
If you’ve ever looked inside a softener brine tank, you’ll notice one thing right away - softener salt is not clean salt. It’s fine for regenerating a softener but it does contain a small amount of dirt and sediment as it is manufactured by simply evaporating brine water out in an open field. So for pool use, you really need to add it slowly (I typically predissolve my salt in a 5 gallon pail) and brush a lot to keep the salt from causing stains. I typically run my robot at the same time.

Try rubbing the area with a thin sock or nylon full of crushed vitamin C to see if it’s iron based. If not, it may just be a dirt stain in which case a stiff brush and elevated chlorine should help to lighten it.

Sorry to hear you got a stain but salt, like any chemical, needs to be added carefully to a pool to mitigate it piling up.
Thanks for the tip! It’s in the deep end so I’ll wait until it gets warmer to deal with, especially if I have to put blocks on my back and hand scrub lol. This happened in October and I tried to brush it out then with no success. Noticed again yesterday as I pulled off cover for routine debris cleaning. Trying to stay away from steel brush. I thought it might go away between the colder water and my negative CSI. Probably run the M600 today and see what happens.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.