How do I get rid of ducks?

TomAtlanta said:
I don't understand how the ducklings get in the pools. They can't fly can they? Are the eggs laid in the woods near your house, or are the ducklings walking from some other pool or lake?

Tom, Ricky has some pretty good hiding places around near his pool and the hen feels safe so she laid the eggs there and now.... Best part is Mallards are a mated pairs so they breed for life, in the same place every year!

I get ducks every year. I come out screaming like a mad man with the pool brush in hand. I slap the water with it and then use it to flick water on them. I'm sure neighbors think I'm absolutely crazy, but do it 1 or 2 times and the ducks never return.

Have you tried floating deterrents in the pool? I had a couple ducks visit one summer and I used a Bird-X eye balloon (found on Amazon here) and one of my neighbors used a floating alligator or a swan. You just have to rotate the solution in and out so they don't get used to it. A slingshot with rubber pellets works too, and has the added benefit of providing dinner. :)

I knew someone years ago with a pool about 50 miles south of here in Louisiana, they had a problem with ducks getting in their pool, the ducks were trying to get away from the alligators in the bayou behind their place, so one week the problem was the ducks, the next week it was the alligators. So just remember it can always be worse.

It IS ILLEGAL to remove mallard ducks and relocate. This is because they are protected by the migratory bird treaty act - you can haze and harass them but you cant touch them.
I found dogs to be the best - harass them before they roost .. ducks don't see well and will not fly at night so if you can keep them out before they come in to roost you can help the situation.
Taking them out and relocating is not legal without permit from USDA

Someone here suggested putting string over the pool. I did that and the ducks have not been back. It did not take much string either. I just have about 5 pieces, about 6 feet high, running between the house and trees. Something about it bothers the ducks and they stay away.

It IS ILLEGAL to remove mallard ducks and relocate. This is because they are protected by the migratory bird treaty act - you can haze and harass them but you cant touch them.
I found dogs to be the best - harass them before they roost .. ducks don't see well and will not fly at night so if you can keep them out before they come in to roost you can help the situation.
Taking them out and relocating is not legal without permit from USDA

Maybe it is illegal, but when an animal is on your property, is it likely to be enforced?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.