Bronze Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
As you see in my signature, I use the TF-100 kit. Everything is great EXCEPT alkalinity. I’ve tried so many different things to get it down and it did go down from 250 yesterday to 230 today which is still ridiculous!! Here are my test results from this morning. My pool is 7000 gallons and I do not have a SWG, just to throw that out there. See my numbers in the photo below that I screenshot from the PoolMath app.

I guess my question is, HOW in the you know what do I get the alkalinity down to even the highest acceptable level? So frustrating! Thank you in advance!

EDIT: My CH says 0 because I have a vinyl (Intex) pool and was told I cannot add any calcium products to this type of pool.

9E7DC5C6-EFA6-4AF6-9A29-43789577B56C.jpeg

Last edited:
Do you really have 0 CH?

TA is not a big deal unless you have a higher CH that leads to scale. The high TA will also push the pH up quickly. But as you add acid to lower your pH from 8 to 7.4, the TA will come down.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Knowing what CH your pool water has is still a good idea. You do not need to raise your CH, but knowing what it is will tell you if you have the potential to create calcium scale.

You should use muriatic acid to lower your pH. If you prefer, you can get the lower strength versions but your cost will be about double. Use standard precautions handling the acid. Be sure it is poured slowly at the return jet and mix it in well.

Knowing what CH your pool water has is still a good idea. You do not need to raise your CH, but knowing what it is will tell you if you have the potential to create calcium scale.

You should use muriatic acid to lower your pH. If you prefer, you can get the lower strength versions but your cost will be about double. Use standard precautions handling the acid. Be sure it is poured slowly at the return jet and mix it in well.

Muriatic acid scares the heck out of me. Any idea where I can buy it and approximately how much I would need? I’ll test for CH right now because now I’m curious...

Muriatic Acid will lower PH and TA. Use pool math to calculate lowering PH to about 7.2 or so. Over time your PH will rise (aeration helps raise PH some), you then add more MA to lower to 7.2 again.

Ok since I’m a total noob, please don’t laugh at me lol but what do you mean by aeration? And if I add too much MA is this a situation where I would need to drain the entire pool? I’m one of those people that tend to screw things up lol

Reactions: beautifulpool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I get mine at Lowes. You do need to be careful for sure. Stay up wind when you are pouring. Gloves and goggles are a good idea.

I’m a nursing student so I’ve got plenty of gloves on deck and my old goofy goggles from chemistry class (which as you can tell, I failed lol). Thank you for the tips! I’m nervous!!

Which type of acid do I need to buy? Is it safe for Intex pools?
Muriatic Acid. Usually get mine at Home Depot, but you can find it most hardware stores or pool stores. HD sells cases with 2 gallon bottles, In your situation I would buy 2 or 3 cases. Acid doesn't degrade over time, so you can hold onto it over multiple seasons.

For safety, just make sure you poor slowly into the pool, if your really concerned you can find rubber gloves, aprons, and splash masks on amazon, but they are really not necessary.

As you have a vinyl pool with out a SWCG, and you most likely will be draining quite a bit of it or taking it down for winter, you could use dry acid (sodium bisulfate). We do not recommend its use in most cases, but in yours it should be OK.

You never tested your ch? Your fill water should calcium in it.

You want your csi to not be overly positive so you don't get buildup in your walls, with low/0 ch that will help, the ta does push up the csi a lot.

The real problem with high ta that it does push your pH up and then makes it troublesome for your swimmers eyes.

Test your fill water for pH ta and ch. Your fill water is going to be high in ta I bet so it means a lot of acid for you

Cant add calcium to a vinyl pool thats a new one on me. I wouldn't recommend using cal hypo but you can use it as long as you are keeping track of your ch.

Breaking the surface of the water somehow, making bubbles. Shoot your return up to try and break the surface if you can. You could get another pump and shoot a stream in the air back into pool.
But TA isn't normally something to get freaked out about, especially those of us with vinyl liners, no heater etc.

Do NOT add enough Muriatic acid to lower your TA where you think you want it. Do it in steps with the PH lowering. You will probably need to buy a gallon, don't think I have seen any smaller containers. Use pool math to calculate dose.

Muriatic Acid. Usually get mine at Home Depot, but you can find it most hardware stores or pool stores. HD sells cases with 2 gallon bottles, In your situation I would buy 2 or 3 cases. Acid doesn't degrade over time, so you can hold onto it over multiple seasons.

For safety, just make sure you poor slowly into the pool, if your really concerned you can find rubber gloves, aprons, and splash masks on amazon, but they are really not necessary.

Out of curiousity, how much does this stuff cost? Not that it matters but just to get a basic idea. Thanks!!

Ok since I’m a total noob, please don’t laugh at me lol but what do you mean by aeration? And if I add too much MA is this a situation where I would need to drain the entire pool? I’m one of those people that tend to screw things up lol
Aeration is the mixing of air with water. Pools with a spillover spa or water features get there's this way. If you don't have those, you can direct your return "eyeballs" at the surface to get some mixing that way. If you add too much MA, it will lower your pH, but the high TA will drive it up anyway so no worries.

My CH says 0 because I have a vinyl (Intex) pool and was told I cannot add any calcium products to this type of pool.
I'm not sure who told you that, but you can add calcium or calcium containing chemicals (calcium hypochlorite) if you want, but there's no reason to.

You don't need calcium, and calcium hypochlorite tends to be more trouble than it's worth.

Also, don't overstress about the TA.

There's no reason that you have to get it down right away. Just lower the pH to 7.2 periodically and the TA will come down.

The only reason that you would need to expedite the TA lowering process would be if the calcium hardness was high.

As long as you don't let the pH get above 7.9, you're good. Relax and enjoy your pool.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.