How do I clean my pool from red dust

Feb 24, 2017
Australia
Hi There

We have had our entire state blanketed in red rain - dust storm particles in the rain. My pool filters have been running every day since that happened 5 days ago and the water is still murky.
How do I clear it up....
Am i best to leave the pumps / filters turned off for a few days to let it settle to the bottom.... as the dust is so fine the filters obviously are not capturing all the dust in the water.....
Or is there a chemical that will help bond the dust to settle to the bottom...
Cheers

Am i best to leave the pumps / filters turned off for a few days to let it settle to the bottom....

Don't turn your pump off for few days as this will not really help anything.

Do you have a variable speed pump? If so you can ensure that it is set to run at a relatively low RPM so that it is not churning up the water - This will ensure that the dust will settle.

What sort of filtration do you have?

If you can see the dust then the common filters (Sand/Cartridge/DE etc) all have the ability to filter visible dust particles in the water unless your filter is not working correctly (most dust will settle to the floor anyway).

For the dust on the floor of the pool, you need to either vacuum the dust up using a pool vac connected via your skimmer etc or (better option) use a robot pool cleaner.

If it is fine dirt, then filtering is the best thing to do. As the filters get a bit dirty, they will filter better. I would not mess with the chemistry as you say it is fine. I assume you are use a proper test kit. Using clarifiers or floc will just make a mess and neither should be used with a cartridge filter.

the dust is so fine it is passing through sand filters and cartridge filters
dont know anyone with de
in one of the horse troughs that is not in use it hasnt settled after four days
Well it’s certainly fine but at least my sand filter with Zeo media is quite happy to filter it out, though my filter is way oversized and not stressed by the pump flow rate in any way.
A lot of this dust has been airborne for days and thousands of kilometers in some cases so even thinking of it as fine dirt is wrong.

to the OP you may well have little choice if you can’t filter it out But to use floc but I’d hardly cal in he best option

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi There

We have had our entire state blanketed in red rain - dust storm particles in the rain. My pool filters have been running every day since that happened 5 days ago and the water is still murky.
How do I clear it up....
Am i best to leave the pumps / filters turned off for a few days to let it settle to the bottom.... as the dust is so fine the filters obviously are not capturing all the dust in the water.....
Or is there a chemical that will help bond the dust to settle to the bottom...
Cheers
Going back to the original question.
1. What filter have you got, make,model, media?
2. Pump?
3. Turn over is not normally considered from a chemical balance issue but for clearing this red dust you may need to run the pump longer.
4. it can take a while to actually clear this stuff, 12 months ago Canberra got a huge dump a bit like Victoria did last week and it took me a couple of weeks before we got it all vacuumed away, patience was the key.
5. Circulation? if it's turbulent then you play a longer waiting game as it takes longer to settle to the bottom but it will settle.
6. Test Kit? curious more than required for clearing dust :)

I actually don't think it will directly settle just by having the pump off for a few days... i have found that a simple smooth near laminar flow from the return will result in better accumulation on the floor

So let's get some more details to try and help
Cheers

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.