How do I backwash with a SWG & timer

Tracey R

Jun 14, 2019
Boerne TX
I've had the SWG on and working for about a month now. LOVE IT! I got just over 2" of rain last night and need to backwash some out.

Do I manually switch the timer to on which will power both the pump & swg? Then switch the pump to off which will stop the flow of water (turning off the swg?) however leaving the salt cell on (which I think is a no-no) and turn the filter control to backwash?

I know this probably isn't as daunting after the 1st go round but thank y'all for your help!

I have a different filter setup with a cartridge but i believe the valves work in a similar fashion. If i turn my valve to waste, the pump and SWG stay running but the flow bypasses everything past the pump and goes to the backyard. When the valve closes it seals the return that goes through the filter/swg. The flow switch on the SWG then stops the SWG from running but the unit remains full of water the whole time. You can verify your flow switch stops the unit for the duration of the backwash and it should remain full of water as a double failsafe.

The timer is "on" but the dammits haven't been kicked "on" currently. When the dammits kick on everything comes on automatically. So do I turn the filter control to backwash, kick on the dammits, finish backwashing, kick off the dammits, and then turn back to filter?

My thought is it will be gtg due to the flow switch not being activated bc water isn't getting past the filter. I just don't want to mess anything up.

I have a cirupool RJ+45, but with a VS pump that I leave run 24/7. When backwashing I hit the power button on the circupool controller to turn the SWG off. Then I can pause and resume my pump as necessary for backwashing and rinsing.

Get your system operational (pump and swg) by enabling the timer. Either set the SWG percent to 0, or you could try to hit the Red power button on the SWG controller. If you do the power button do a test first to verify that the SWG stays powered off as you toggle the timer. If the SWG stays off when you toggle the timer you won't have to do the 0% setting. Then do your backwash and rinse by turning the timer off and on. When done reverse what you did for the SWG (either power on or set the output to your desired level).

Reactions: Tracey R
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.