How Did TFP Save You Money Today?

woodyp

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
I hope this is a long running thread and will help new folks get off the fence on ordering what many seem to think is an expensive test kit that we all know is a pool essential. Saving money by knowing exactly WHAT to add, following our methods, and taking advantage of the myriad tips and tricks contributed by our user base.

I'll throw out the first pitch: Saved a lot of money and TIME by using those bouffant hair nets off amazon in the skimmer this year. Pollen central here. No more pumping out that otherwise (perfectly balanced TFP) water by having to backwash, then refill, then re-balance.

Today roughly .60 of chlorine to maintain target FC of 6ppm.

Our pool has been absolutely trouble free since it was balanced using TFP methods 5 years ago.

It was hard to buy the testing kit but every day I'm adding anything to the pool I'm saving money. I don't get pool stored at the beginning of the season with bottles of algacide and or clarifier/flock. Bleach is so much cheaper than pool store sanitizer or shock as is common muratic acid to lower pH compared to a branded pool store pH down we used to get. I know what I'm putting in and most importantly WHY !!

:lovetfp:

So when I first joined TFP, coming off some very bad "Pool Guy Experiences," I was very excited to realize I can do this all myself, I can fire the pool guy, and I can help ensure not only the quality of my water, but the longevity of my newly replaced pool surface as well. So excited, I did a little quick math to figure out how much using TFPC might save me in my remaining years. I calculated pool guy expenses and pool surface replacement and a few other things. Not really comprehensive, I probably missed a lot of incidental expenses that TFPC is saving me. But it came out to over $50K! So if I extrapolate backwards, that's about $5 a day!! Every day!!! For the rest of my life!!!!

If I had considered rises in cost of everything, along with all the incidentals that continue to reveal themselves the more I use and save with TFPC, the actual savings per day figure is likely quite a bit higher.

And yet that, nor how great my pool looks, nor how healthy my water is, has yet to be enough to convince any friends, family or neighbors to get onboard the TFP train. I'll keep tryin', while I keep savin'!! ;)

I hope this is a long running thread and will help new folks get off the fence on ordering what many seem to think is an expensive test kit that we all know is a pool essential. Saving money by knowing exactly WHAT to add, following our methods, and taking advantage of the myriad tips and tricks contributed by our user base.

I'll throw out the first pitch: Saved a lot of money and TIME by using those bouffant hair nets off amazon in the skimmer this year. Pollen central here. No more pumping out that otherwise (perfectly balanced TFP) water by having to backwash, then refill, then re-balance.

I just got my hairnet delivery today!

My PH tested to higher than 8.0. Before TFP, I would have added acid. Thanks to TFP, I know that I also have to test my FC because if it is over 10, the PH test is invalid. My FC was over 10 (intentionally) so I know to wait until it falls under 10 to test PH and trust the reading. Plus, before TFP I ran my pump way, way more than necessary! Now I save a lot on electricity! Thanks TFP!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just vacuumed yesterday. Forgot to mention the spun hair nets like food service workers use that I came across the recommendation here. I have seven mature pine trees that shed needles like crazy but are just to beautiful to cut down but way too close to the pool. Thirty years ago they likely were cute at 6 feet and five feet wide but now they're more like sixty or seventy tall and thirty/forty in diameter. Using those cheap hairnets for skimmer socks just rocks. It was sooooooo sweet yesterday just pulling the hairnet out of the basket and not having to tap, tap, tap the thing trying to get the needles out and taking to the hose rinsing it and always splashing myself and my glasses in the process. Bought 200 on Amazon for under $10

Never used a skimmer sock but for the price these hair nets are fantastic. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XK2FS0/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• Spun hairnet.jpg
    Spun hairnet.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Keeps me out of the pool store spending money on products I don't need! Considering I have never seen anyone post on this site saying TFP didn't work for them soooo why are there so many pool stores???

Love TFP and my awesome clean, sparkling and balanced pool :p

Two thumbs up!! Not sure how long you had the nets in there but may want to consider changing more often as it seems to me that much debris could restrict flow...

Helping a friend today get started down the TFP path. Gave her links to get a test kit & speed stir as well as the links to Pool School & Pool Math.

Funny timing and the word is spreading. When I told her you only need bleach she said- 'that's what my sister in law just told me she's doing'.

It rained a lot today. Pool store's sign says it contained 300 TDS or phosphates (I don't remember which silly thing it was) and I needed to add lowering liquids before my pool turns green. Yes, when it rains they have a whiteboard they set on the checkout counter with an actual number the rainfall contained that day or the last day it rained and then push the reducer. Thank you TFP from keeping me off the pool store TDS & Phosphates racket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.