Mjwall82

Jan 29, 2020
Long island ny
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital PPC1 (RC-35)
So, my hot tub cover ripped and started getting water logged last October. By late November it became too heavy to lift and I stopped adding chlorine. I planned to leave it for the winter and get a new cover in the summer. Fast forward to last weekend when my new cover came. I cut the old cover in half and slid it off expecting a swamp underneath. To my surprise the water was crystal clear (see picture) and had no smell. The Ahhsome treatment got a lot of gunk out, but I was shocked by how clear my water stayed after being untreated for 6 months. Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any idea how the water stayed so clear. Also, what can I be doing to keep the new cover in good shape so that it lasts longer than the previous one? It sits in the sun all day. Is there anything I can use to treat it?

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 10
So, you stopped adding chlorine only on November?
It is likely you still had chlorine until few weeks ago...

So, you stopped adding chlorine only on November?
It is likely you still had chlorine until few weeks ago...
Yep, my routine was a teaspoon of LC each night. Last dose was sometime in November. Then it was left closed and running at 100F until last weekend. I didn't test when I finally got the cover off last weekend. So, I guess it's possible that it just held chlorine for 6 months.

I closed my pool mid-October at 16ppm... it was at 12ppm when I opened it in mid-April... I was expecting to have chlorine, but not that much.

I closed my pool mid-October at 16ppm... it was at 12ppm when I opened it in mid-April... I was expecting to have chlorine, but not that much.
Yea that makes sense, I opened my pool in early April to a similar chlorine loss. I guess I just assumed that was because the water was so cold when closed and opened. I thought the Hot Tub would be a mess when I opened it since the water was so warm. I was pleasantly surprised to see such clear water. I bet if I tested, it would have shown some chlorine.

I suspect you had residual Ahh-Some remaining in the piping along with additional Ahh-Some in the water that was probably not entirely drained after the purge. A small amount will act as an effective clarifier for a ill long time if not subjected to sunlight and bathers. We have seen this occur in many hot tubs over the years. It acted as not only a back-up quarterback, but an entire team. Our Aqua Clarity product is even more effective and allows you to purge and drain less often since the colonization of biofilms in the plumbing have a difficult time attaching to surfaces. Without attachment, slime forming microorganisms are filtered or oxidized with sanitizer.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.