How concerned should I be?

Sep 17, 2014
Atoka, TN
Looks like a couple of my supports are rusting out near the pump/return area. See attached pic. AG salt pool going on year 10 (5 of mine, converted from perma-salt to SWG 4 years ago). New liner last year so I guess I should have inspected this closer and maybe had them do something then. I have surface rust along the bottom of a few spots, but you can't break it. I just pushed on this a little today and it broke through. Anyone have advice on fixing or a course of action? Thanks in advance.

20180604_153811.jpg

As much as I want to tell you that looks fine I can't. That's some pretty heavy rust in that spot. I don't know of any way to repair that and the more you poke at it might just make it worse faster. Not sure how long it will last.

I cannot honestly say how I would repair that without draining. My thought here is that since this is the part closest to the filtration system, that when the pump basket has been cleaned and/or filter cleaned, or any popping off of hoses, and/or equipment leaks, and/or skimmer/pool overflow, that the water has come into contact with the pool and remained there. I had noticed this with my pool: the quarter of the side adjacent to the pump filter pad is (progressively) 1.5" lower than the rest of the pool, but no rusting. If the wall is ok, you might be able to replace the bottom 'mount' which sits on the block, and the upright. However, if you can repair/replace these parts, consider a way to divert water away from the pool wall that results from skimmer overflow, hose problems, or taking the lid off the pump basket. I recently hard plumbed the pool and am very happy with the result.

Thanks everyone. Not was I wanted to hear but what I feared. Seems like my best long term bet will be to drain and install new supports. Am going to check with the company that installed the pool (and replaced the liner) to see if I can make it through the summer at least.

What about taking the top cap off the post and then pouring cement into the bottom of it, maybe 4-5 inches higher than where it's rusted out? After sanding down all the rust and spraying it with rustolieum or something? Cement would support the load I would think. I read on another website about possibly re-enforcing it with rebar instead.

The cement would add no value. Cement is only stong under compressive load, it wouldn't do any thing to hold the column together.

The real problem here is that the bottom of the wall is rusted thru above the bottom track of the wall. The bottom track is a ring around the pool that holds the bottom edge of the wall in place and keeps it from being pushed out by the weight of the water. Now that its rusted thru there is not much there holding the water back from pushing right thru that hole. When it does fail it will happen in a split second with no other warning most likely. This rust is your first and only warning prior to the pool emptying on its own.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.