How cold of water will you swim in?

Jun 12, 2007
North Carolina
Just wondering!

We had planned on closing our pool this weekend, but with temps rising back up to 90 degrees, we may put the solar cover on today and see if we can warm it up some. Earlier this week, we had lows in the 50's, so the water got cold fast. The water temp is currently 63 degrees.

The kids and I will swim in mid-low 70's water. Momma.... No way. She is done below 85. She can't hang. As outside temps fall, we get in the water on a regular basis to acclimate to the temps. With water in the 70's, I will usually have the spa cranked on around 90 in case someone gets too cold.

I'm good at around 80 and above, but only if the outside air temp is 80 or above. Ideal is water about 87 degrees, outside airtemp around 92.

It's supposed to get to the high 80's/low 90's this weekend. I've got my solar cover on as well. May well be the last hurrah of the summer. I'm also decorating for Halloween this weekend, too. Where did the year run off to??

Early in the season you will see me give it a try at 80, but I prefer 84+. My youngest will regularly swim anywhere from 78 and above. I like 86, its perfect right there.

I will get in if its around 78 but its a very gentle entry! TizWife on the other hand wont go in unless water is 80+ ! We too have had our solar cover on trying to keep the heat in the pool but to no avail. Thus the closing cerimonies have begun .. :cry: the steps have been removed. The Polaris is doing its final thing for leaves we cant get out of the pool despite the shortened hose (<---made a booboo cutting it :oops: ) and sadly another year of swimming will soon come to an end :sleep: . The pool cover cerimonies will likely happen tonight or tomorrow ... :cry: :cry:

BUT! :)

Next year we are looking forward to a Trouble Free Pool (and algae free) thanks to all of the good folks here on the forum!
:) :wink: :) :wink: :goodjob:

After two days of straight rain, mine is down to 78. :( That is about my limit. I have swam in the spring-fed rivers around here that don't get above 72, but for some reason it is harder to do that with a pool. My hubby can't take it below 85 or so and he prefers it higher.

In a pool, H2O temp has to be related to ambient air temp. So, I'll swim in a 70 degree pool if it's in the high 90's/100's.

If I'm camping and need a "swim" for personal hygiene, I'll swim in most any water temp (and have). However, there must be a fire roaring.

Cary B

SeanB said:
We won't let the kids swim unless it's at least 80 degrees, and I don't like to get in unless it's at least 84+. To me, 88 is about ideal though.

Wow. We set around 72° for a swimming limit. 84° is nice but 85° is too warm. Maybe because we are active pool users. Swimmers will overheat in water warmer than 78°F. That said, we find 80° - 82° just about right.

My pool is currently around 60°F. Probably close it on Sunday, but we have company coming Saturday afternoon and the pool looks nicer full. Also, being crazy Canadians we may issue a jump in challenge, which I might just do. :lol:

well its strange how one day of cold can cool the pool down very quickly, last week on monday the water was 85 and 96 out side tuesday was about the same wensday OVER NIGHT changes and the hight is 67 and the watre goes from 85 to 72, so it FREEZING, do you think boiling water and throwing it in the pool 6-8 time might help or is that a waste with so much water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Rollin Thunder said:
well its strange how one day of cold can cool the pool down very quickly, last week on monday the water was 85 and 96 out side tuesday was about the same wensday OVER NIGHT changes and the hight is 67 and the watre goes from 85 to 72, so it FREEZING, do you think boiling water and throwing it in the pool 6-8 time might help or is that a waste with so much water.

well the coldest i will swim is 78. on any day.

if its 100 out i would swim in 70, but when its 100 out the water is 95 so it l ooses all its refreshness, thats when i wanted a cooler.

I first got in my pool when the water was 69 F! Brrrr. . .

My preference is 84. Currently my water is about 79-80 b/c the solar heater pump isn't working. It's cold to get in, but it's pretty comfortable once I've been swimming for a few minutes. I think I could handle middle 70's.

I've found 87 is too warm for me; makes me sluggish. Around 84 is just about perfect.

88 perfect
90 pushing the upper limit of comfort
84 pushing the lower limit of comfort

I know the OP asked "how cold?". I guess that will be tested this year since this is my first (owned)pool.

I had a pool when I was a kid, but back then it was...."what's temperature got to do with it, let's go swimming"

ktdave said:
88 perfect

I know the OP asked "how cold?". I guess that will be tested this year since this is my first (owned)pool.

I had a pool when I was a kid, but back then it was...."what's temperature got to do with it, let's go swimming"

its funny how every one differs

84 is perfect, 86 is pushing high level of comfort
70 is when i WONT swim. inless its 110 out, but its impossable around here to get that combo, it warms up to it, slowly and cools down quickly, both the air and the pool.

Rollin Thunder said:
ktdave said:
88 perfect

its funny how every one differs

84 is perfect, 86 is pushing high level of comfort
70 is when i WONT swim. inless its 110 out, but its impossable around here to get that combo, it warms up to it, slowly and cools down quickly, both the air and the pool.

When it was 110, instead of jumping in the pool I just used the outdoor shower we have hooked up to the hose spigot. Whhhoooooweee that's cold!!! But it felt goooood! :shock:

south florida here and my pool temp is 86 and i do not find this refreshing at all. i am from the northeast and used to swimming in cool fresh water lakes. as the season moves on i plan on using the pool with much lower temps and using the electric heat pump if needed. i am thinking of maintaining the temps at 70. the wife wont go in unless its at least 82. me and the kids will be jumping in at 70. its good to get that chill up your spine! i look forward to taking a spa at 98 and then jumping in a pool at 74!

I don't think there's any way to warm the water up enough to enjoy. We'll have one more week of 80-90 degree temps. The water is so cold right now that it will take that long with the solar cover on to get it warm enough to swim in. I can't believe how fast a few nights of 50 degree temps can knock down the water temp.

I guess we're officially going to close this weekend. :cry:

Miami over here and I just got my solar cover last week to see if we can keep the temps up. Right now my pool is 91F. My ideal temp is 88F and the lowest We had it was 82F when we built in April. It was a little cold for me and the kids but we got accustomed to the water. My wife will not get under 84F. It's funny how you get spoiled (in my case) and accustomed to your enviornment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.