How Clear is TFP Clear? Let's See (Pics Only Please).

My guess is they get in there looking for a way out of the pool, then get stuck because of the skimming action and weir door. Fortunately the one I found was just a small grass snake, but still startled me a bit. Someone else may know better.

--Jeff

Nope. Just make sure I take a good look in the skimmer before trying to remove the basket. I have a good sized pond less than 100' from my pool. I can only speak to my own experience but that small grass snake was the only one I've seen this year. And there were plenty of larger snakes I found in the pond. Heck, ran across a big, ~ 24"-30", rat snake, last Saturday when doing some tractor work. He was sunning himself trying to warm up.

--Jeff

@ald2002 - Check out these things to help prevent skimmer surprises. Good job on determining to learn and care for your own pool. It's easy with the help of the brain trust on here.

I've got the frog logs, and when using them, never found frogs in the skimmer. I am contemplating switching to the critter skimmer since it does not visually impede the pool.

Also have the add on tower skim pro (they don't make one for my skimmer). The only trick there is making sure there isn't a spider hanging on just under the top for me to grab on to. I use a fishnet to get them out. Keeps me from having to stick my hands down in the water and get stung or bit. I've found wasps, millipedes, and plenty of spiders in there.

--Jeff
I'm in the middle of the build on my pool and the contractors looked at me funny when I told them I didn't want a skimmer by the stairs leading into the pool. I will obviously clean the skimmers before entering the pool, but I found spiders in the skimmer when we lived in Arizona when I was a kid. Grabbed the spider with a jar and showed my mom. She kept them a day and the next day the bumpy spider was covered with babies. Didn't help my fear of skimmers when we realized they were black widows. I think I'll be opening my skimmer with a metal rod bent at one end. I use the same rod to locate piping underground so it should work to pop my skimmer cover off. Frogs loved my above ground pool, but they could climb right out on their own.

I'm in the middle of the build on my pool and the contractors looked at me funny when I told them I didn't want a skimmer by the stairs leading into the pool. I will obviously clean the skimmers before entering the pool, but I found spiders in the skimmer when we lived in Arizona when I was a kid. Grabbed the spider with a jar and showed my mom. She kept them a day and the next day the bumpy spider was covered with babies. Didn't help my fear of skimmers when we realized they were black widows. I think I'll be opening my skimmer with a metal rod bent at one end. I use the same rod to locate piping underground so it should work to pop my skimmer cover off. Frogs loved my above ground pool, but they could climb right out on their own.

Skimmer placement has a LOT to do with how prevailing winds are in your yard. You want to take advantage of this natural skimming power to help keep the surface of your pool clean. Consider that when you and the PB discuss placement.

Maddie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
^^^^^. Funny as it may be, The water is TFP clear so we have to check with the judges. Ok they’ve decided.
24CBC59E-2C69-4889-8F85-155AAF61F513.gif

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support