How can robotic cleaners clean better than auto vacuums that are connected to suction line?

doug527

Apr 15, 2019
Fl
I have very fine cut dead grass that looks similar to saw dust that comes into pool when neighbor's lawn is cut. If wind is blowing my way it covers top of pool. It goes through my screen like it isn't there….I also have plenty of yellow tree pollen right now.
My question is that how can a couple filters in for example, the Dolphin, filter those fine particles out? It just seems vacuuming would be more thorough.. I get it that the robotic cleaners are more accurate in covering pool area but are they really picking up all the fine particles as mentioned?

The Dolphin has a built in cartridge filter so it is just as good as a pool filter. Albeit a lot smaller.

Yea but the dolphin is only so big, 4x4 or whatever…It can only hold so much. Like to see a comparison…I only ask as I am looking for a cleaner…..Not sure which route though

I'm happy with my robot and its ability to get the fine particles, but it is mainly doing its work under the water and on the floor. For pollen and other fine particles on the surface would be better suited for your skimmer, using a skimmer sock to grab the smaller particles before they get to your filters.

I empty my dolphin only once per week. It is only full when there is significant leaf fall.

I had a suction cleaner and now a Dolphin. No comparison. The Dolphin does a much better job of cleaning.

I have very fine cut dead grass that looks similar to saw dust that comes into pool when neighbor's lawn is cut. If wind is blowing my way it covers top of pool. It goes through my screen like it isn't there….I also have plenty of yellow tree pollen right now.
My question is that how can a couple filters in for example, the Dolphin, filter those fine particles out? It just seems vacuuming would be more thorough.. I get it that the robotic cleaners are more accurate in covering pool area but are they really picking up all the fine particles as mentioned?

I use my Dolphin with nested filters. A mesh filter inside a pleated filter. The mesh filters out the larger debris and then the water goes through a pleated filter to remove ultrafine particles.

Reactions: panic_button
I'm happy with my robot and its ability to get the fine particles, but it is mainly doing its work under the water and on the floor. For pollen and other fine particles on the surface would be better suited for your skimmer, using a skimmer sock to grab the smaller particles before they get to your filters.
Yea I know the Dolphin isn't a skimmer…. My skimmer picks up nada so Im left with everything that goes to the bottom unless I'm home to rake the pool surface,,

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It has a door, not certain the name. Skimmer works, water is going in, it just doesn’t seem to pull debris it’s way.
Take a closer look at your skimmer door in action when the pump is running. The top of the weir door should be at the top of the outside pool water surface causing the water to cascade down to the slightly lower level of the water inside the skimmer box. If your skimmer door is positioned too low, and/or the outside pool water level is too high and above the weir door top, your skimmer system will not function properly. Also your weir door should be above the water line when the pump is not running to keep debris inside your skimmer box and block it from floating back out into your pool.

If you cannot adjust your weir door height then you will need to keep your pool water level in the sweet spot for your system. Once you know your optimum pool water level range for good skimming you should be able to adjust the flotation of the door while the pump is running with the amount of Styrofoam under the top lip. You want the slight cascade effect as this accelerates the water flow at the surface and this creates the water surface and debris "pull". You do not want your door so high and with so much float that water cavitates in the skimmer box and allows air into your pump system. Have fun, it makes a difference.

And yes a good robot is so much better at cleaning a pool and keeping small debris and pool bottom dust out of your filter system. My pool cleaning standard was raised to another level when I started using my robot. Pool dust never sleeps.

Also, vacuuming sends debris to your filter (please complete a signature stating equipment types) which cause it to need cleaning faster.

My pressure side robot was terrible at both picking and capturing dust-like debris. My robot with cartridge filters is fantastic at this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.