How can I tell if I should replace my spider gasket?

Apr 29, 2016
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am in the process of replacing my MPV, removed the top part of the valve, and my spider gasket looks a little rough. I think it needs replacing but I've never seen inspected one of these before so wanted to get your take. Also, can you recommend a good video or written procedure for doing the replacement properly?

20220110_171514_copy_784x1612.jpg20220110_171522_copy_784x1612.jpg

Depending on the MPV model, some spider gaskets are quite easy to remove while others are a real pain due to adhesive. But I'm confused because you mention you are replacing the MPV, so if you are changing the entire unit, it should come with the new gasket anyway. Are we misunderstanding what you are replacing?

Once open, it would only make sense to go ahead and replace the gasket and any other parts you might feel reasonable to do so. There may other (small) O-rings on the handle stem, tension springs, etc. Much depends on how stiff or loose the handle might feel after a few seasons of use. I'm not sure how that O-ring is inserted (pressed or glued). It may pop right out (lucky), or it may be resistant to removal, especially if glued in, and come out in small pieces requiring careful scraping and cleaning of the channels before installing the new gasket. I'm sure there are clips on YouTube but I can't get to it right now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.