Ferndale, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I've always used the 12,000-15,000 gallon estimate because it's what the pool store guys told me (they open and close for me) and when I've posted various things here, some of you agreed. Today I did a FC test, I was at 5.5 FC. I used 15,000 gallons in pool math and added 69 oz chlorine to reach 10 FC. 15 min later (also very cloudy day) I'm at 10.5. So, 15,000 is pretty close, but I'm not good with this kind of thing, can someone tell me closer what it is? Since it was higher am I more like 14,000?

Since it was higher am I more like 14,000?
Maybe. I just did some maths before for a 15k ish pool and their 392 sq ft perimeter meant that the normal +/- 2 inch fluctuation was a 996 gallon difference. You can be up or down 500 gallons from perfect at any time due to rain/evap.

You were over by .5 and that's about as close as you'll ever be. The pool is 15.k gallons and the test is a monentary snapshot of that 1/200th (?) of a gallon over there. A minute later its a different bit of water that came from a different over there.

The test itself may be off by .5, as well.

I like to say the 'point X' is irrelevant. The 10 is the important # to me, and you are well above minimum. If it's a .2 or a .5, I'll high five you either way. If it's a 3.5, I again do not care about the .5. You need several PPM and STAT.

What % chlorine did you use?

And since you don't really know what actual % chlorine you added versus what the bottle claimed you don't know if the variance is due to the chlorine % or your pool volume.

There is also a Chemical Way of Calculating Pool Volume using an alkalinity test kit, sodium bicarbonate or acid, and the formula.

What % chlorine did you use?

And since you don't really know what actual % chlorine you added versus what the bottle claimed you don't know if the variance is due to the chlorine % or your pool volume.

There is also a Chemical Way of Calculating Pool Volume using an alkalinity test kit, sodium bicarbonate or acid, and the formula.
12.5%

Maybe. I just did some maths before for a 15k ish pool and their 392 sq ft perimeter meant that the normal +/- 2 inch fluctuation was a 996 gallon difference. You can be up or down 500 gallons from perfect at any time due to rain/evap.

You were over by .5 and that's about as close as you'll ever be. The pool is 15.k gallons and the test is a monentary snapshot of that 1/200th (?) of a gallon over there. A minute later its a different bit of water that came from a different over there.

The test itself may be off by .5, as well.

I like to say the 'point X' is irrelevant. The 10 is the important # to me, and you are well above minimum. If it's a .2 or a .5, I'll high five you either way. If it's a 3.5, I again do not care about the .5. You need several PPM and STAT.
good point, and my water level is kind of low right now too, so maybe right at 15K? is my head doing this correctly? lol

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.