How bad is grass near the pool??

kmmattson

Jul 6, 2020
Beaufort, SC
We have an Embassy Century above ground pool with the metal corrugated surround. Got it put up 6 weeks ago but haven't had time for landscaping...the weeds and grass are already growing right next to the base of the pool. How bad is that? Is it essential that the first couple feet around the base of the pool be gravel, stone, etc. or can we let the grass grow and mow around it? I am ok with spraying weed killer along the very base of the pool since weed-eater could damage it. We did use a fabric weed-blocker underneath and it is flush with the pool surround.

Anything touching the pool that can hold moisture or be wet in the morning dew is bad for the pool walls. The wall and legs need to be dry and have plenty of air circulation to do so. Rocks, dirt, mulch, weeds, pretty much anything will ultimately rust the pool if it touches long enough. But you only need a few inches of clear space, not feet.

Anything touching the pool that can hold moisture or be wet in the morning dew is bad for the pool walls. The wall and legs need to be dry and have plenty of air circulation to do so. Rocks, dirt, mulch, weeds, pretty much anything will ultimately rust the pool if it touches long enough. But you only need a few inches of clear space, not feet.
Thanks - so what do you suggest for that space right around the edge? Gravel the only option? We happen to have a pile of crushed concrete that I was going to use but now sounds like maybe that's not a good idea?

I’m going to defer to @kellyfair Ideally you want 4-6 inches deep around the pool to inhibit vegetation but it’s probably not good to do that in the areas of the legs for fear of the legs sinking in. Maybe scrape an inch or two and reinstall doubled up landscape fabric right against the pool (only deep enough to then cover with gravel/rocks for the first few inches away from the pool).

weedwhacking is a no go also because if you hit the pool wall you will remove some of the finish and be inviting rust down the road. Hopefully Kelly has some ideas.

Reactions: kmmattson
I don’t have a metal walled pool, but I agree that a clean area around the circumference of the pool makes it much easier to prevent rust, etc. I installed edging around mine... the black plastic kind. Tarp under pool, one ring of black edging around the pool about 2 inches from wall, then another ring a foot or so out from that. Landscape cloth between the two rings, covering whatever tarp that sticks out, then over that goes whatever you want around your pool. I went with white beach pebble... they aren’t really pebbles but rocks. The kind people paint and hide. I didn’t want anything finer because I wanted it heavy enough to stay put, I wanted it to drain quickly, and I did NOT want mulch. Rots too quickly in FL and tracks everywhere. Plus my dogs try to eat it!

While I do have rust on the upper horizontal bars on the frame, I don't have a single speck on the verticals, not even at ground level.

Whatever you do, protect your wall from dings and nicks, or you will have rust in no time.

Reactions: Newdude
I don’t have a metal walled pool, but I agree that a clean area around the circumference of the pool makes it much easier to prevent rust, etc. I installed edging around mine... the black plastic kind. Tarp under pool, one ring of black edging around the pool about 2 inches from wall, then another ring a foot or so out from that. Landscape cloth between the two rings, covering whatever tarp that sticks out, then over that goes whatever you want around your pool. I went with white beach pebble... they aren’t really pebbles but rocks. The kind people paint and hide. I didn’t want anything finer because I wanted it heavy enough to stay put, I wanted it to drain quickly, and I did NOT want mulch. Rots too quickly in FL and tracks everywhere. Plus my dogs try to eat it!

While I do have rust on the upper horizontal bars on the frame, I don't have a single speck on the verticals, not even at ground level.

Whatever you do, protect your wall from dings and nicks, or you will have rust in no time.
Thanks - I will make sure to spend the time this weekend to get this all situated so we don’t end up with rust issues!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.