Houston pool build - all filled up, time to swim!

That is really taking shape!!! Love how it is looking!

NOw it is time for YOUR set of links!
The first set is all about what to do and ask about to get a great plaster job. The second set is all about how to care for your pool after you get the plaster.

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

Kim:kim:

Thank you Kim. I got the tf100 test kit but I bought before I knew I was going salt. I feel like there was some additional thing I needed to add for salt testing on the site but can't remember.

I can't believe it's 9pm and they are still out trying to finish tonight!

Thank you Kim. I got the tf100 test kit but I bought before I knew I was going salt. I feel like there was some additional thing I needed to add for salt testing on the site but can't remember.

I can't believe it's 9pm and they are still out trying to finish tonight!

It's the K-1766 Taylor Salt Test you also need, as the TF-100 kit doesn't include anything to test salt levels.

Reactions: Whiskeyfox
Tested fill water.

PH 8.2
CH 125
TA 150 if pink counts 160 if it needs to be a deeper color

Looks like some MA will be a must to get the PH down, anything else? The test card calls for a higher CH
My fill water is similar however my CH is near zero. You will find that in summer with high TA of fill water, every time you add water due to evaporation you will need some MA to lower TA which lowers your pH and then I run my waterfall to aerate the pH back up.
Keep us informed.

It might be crazy to do in Houston but I have selected to go with pebble sheen in ocean blue. It is by far my favorite color, and I think the darker water just simply looks more elegant/modern. None medium colors do it for me like blue surf/prizm blue/granite blue. Originally I was going to go with steel grey in the pebble fina because i want a smoother surface, but it seems to not offer the life sheen or tec does and it also suffers from extreme mottling in every picture i can find, even the ones pebble tec uses on their own website gallery.

I'll probably be back here next summer adding a chiller, but it will only be if my wife demands it. i actually LIKE warm water and 90-92 is no problem for me. However, 95+ might be pushing it. One possible benefit of having such a dark interior color is that hopefully in early spring and late fall, the dark color will help the pool heat up from the sun without as much help from the heater.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It might be crazy to do in Houston but I have selected to go with pebble sheen in ocean blue. It is by far my favorite color, and I think the darker water just simply looks more elegant/modern. None medium colors do it for me like blue surf/prizm blue/granite blue. Originally I was going to go with steel grey in the pebble fina because i want a smoother surface, but it seems to not offer the life sheen or tec does and it also suffers from extreme mottling in every picture i can find, even the ones pebble tec uses on their own website gallery.

I'll probably be back here next summer adding a chiller, but it will only be if my wife demands it. i actually LIKE warm water and 90-92 is no problem for me. However, 95+ might be pushing it. One possible benefit of having such a dark interior color is that hopefully in early spring and late fall, the dark color will help the pool heat up from the sun without as much help from the heater.
Water at 88 or above is great. I have yet to hit 95 in the pool water (according to my sensor and the floating thermometer) but we did get to 94!! The warmer the better - according to my wife.

We are adding 7 umbrella sleeves to hopefully help with shading the water so it doesnt get too warm. We wanted to do sun sails but HOA doesnt allow them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.