Houston, TX No-Shade Pool Owners, how much FC loss

Does this even make sense? I thought algae needed sunlight for photosynthesis. These pipes certainly don’t get much of any light…

It's not just the algae, which somehow always finds a way, but bacteria and all the other nasties. You want freshly chlorinated water circulated once a day for 15 mins if they aren't being used on their own.

Reading another post got me thinking, Is stagnant water I rarely used pipes contributing to FC loss (although OCLT passes).

I am not running my spa at all now. I never run the blower. And I rarely run the waterfall. Could stagnant water in these pipes be harboring algae? Should I run these daily?

Does this even make sense? I thought algae needed sunlight for photosynthesis. These pipes certainly don’t get much of any light…
Not all nasty stuff requires sunlight. Some, prefer to grow in the dark. Autofill Issue!!!

Ugg. Turned on spa and blower. Somethin ain’t right…

Mason and Highland Knolls checking in, losing 5ppm a day. CYA currently at 60. Switched to using chlorine tabs to up my CYA. Also added a 20x16 sail shade to cover half the pool.

Attachments

• 7FA4A26A-76D6-463C-A198-A5208F0D7C8C.jpeg
    7FA4A26A-76D6-463C-A198-A5208F0D7C8C.jpeg
    709.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I wanted to post on this thread to provide some follow up on my own high levels of daytime loss.

Bottom line, I was testing for CYA incorrectly. I thought I understood the process but it took a visit to the Wiki to really understand how subjective this test can be if you are not careful. I had markedly overestimated how much CYA was actually in my pool water-- thought I had over 50 but I actually had level well under 40. I have since brought my CYA levels to above 50 ppm and I have seen daily loss much closer to 2-3 ppm.

Reactions: Newdude
Mason and Highland Knolls checking in, losing 5ppm a day. CYA currently at 60. Switched to using chlorine tabs to up my CYA. Also added a 20x16 sail shade to cover half the pool.
How long have you used the daily shade. Notice a difference?

Nice pool!

I wanted to post on this thread to provide some follow up on my own high levels of daytime loss.

Bottom line, I was testing for CYA incorrectly. I thought I understood the process but it took a visit to the Wiki to really understand how subjective this test can be if you are not careful. I had markedly overestimated how much CYA was actually in my pool water-- thought I had over 50 but I actually had level well under 40. I have since brought my CYA levels to above 50 ppm and I have seen daily loss much closer to 2-3 ppm.
What exactly were you doing wrong? I’m pretty I’m doing it right, I’ve read a zillion threads on how to test CYA. Sun at back tube at waist level only a glance etc etc

Last year I tried a few ways but this year I did my tests outside in the shade (gazebo) on a piece of paper on my table. My pool receives direct sunlight from 7am til 3pm and non-direct from 6pm-~8ish. I leave my cover on unless I'm going in or cleaning (3-4 times a week manually) and I loose ~1ppm daily. I add 35oz lc on Monday and Thursday nights. Been working amazing for me. Opened my pool 3rd week of May, initial slam, haven't used 20 gallons of lc yet and that is all I use. I don't have any other chlorinating products.

What exactly were you doing wrong? I’m pretty I’m doing it right, I’ve read a zillion threads on how to test CYA. Sun at back tube at waist level only a glance etc etc
At best, if you do everything perfect, it's still subjective. We don't all see an eye chart or colors the same either. So maybe you are less compatable with the test than others.

Who else can you enlist to try?

If that still didn't change anything, I would personally rely on the FC loss and raise it 10, possibly even another 10 if that didn't hold either.

*assuming a current OCLT pass. A couple of days ago / last week no longer counts as many things could have happened since then.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think the simplest way to describe my issue was doubting I was seeing the dot when it was actually somewhat visible, as a result of blurriness at waist level that could not be addressed well by my regular reading glasses. I would bring the vial closer to my eyes but then try to compensate for stuff being visible that might not be at waist level.

Once I got presctiption glasses designed specifically for intermediate distance (like the computer work ones but without the blue filter) and did the test I realized how overly conservative I was being.

I've only tried my test outside once. Full sun with back to shade. The challenge I found was that I can see my little head against a bright blue sky reflecting off the surface of the liquid in the tube. Awfully hard to distinguish my head from the Black Dot of Happiness.

Pinch a Penny. The bottle says 10.5% on it. When I called PAP before I started getting Lc, I asked a few questions. The guy told me they purchase it at 12.5% but they only advertise it as 10.5% because that’s what they can guarantee. But he told me it actually move very quickly once they receive it. For what it’s worth I use 12.5% for my pool math input and it’s always on point.

You have to buy the container the first time; it’s like 7 or 8 bucks. Then you just swap them out when empty for full ones. Looks like they are 10% off now. And after you buy 10, the 11th jug is free.

5A36B92E-71A6-4D82-9133-CBA955C95C30.jpeg

Dude they just jacked up the price again uggggg! $13 for 2.5 gal before tax. Was $11 and change just several weeks ago…AFTER tax.

SWGSWGSWGSWGSWGSGWSGWG…..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.