Houston Texas; We have water in our pool!!!

Finally got waterline tile and coping today. Edge tiles on steps and benches
Looks really nice. That stair step spillover is great. Just curious - what is the distance of that first step from the coping down to the sun shelf? Also, what is the planned water depth on the sun shelf?

Looks really nice. That stair step spillover is great. Just curious - what is the distance of that first step from the coping down to the sun shelf? Also, what is the planned water depth on the sun shelf?
Hi Herman, its about 12 inches from coping to shelf. we will lose some of that to plaster. We were originally told 12 inch depth on our sun shelf, but I think we will end up with 9" of water. Unsure if sales person was referring to TOTAL or water depth when we originally designed this pool. We are ok with 9+ inches.

Reactions: HermanTX
Unsure if sales person was referring to TOTAL or water depth when we originally designed this pool. We are ok with 9+ inches.
Thanks. This happens a lot if you read other construction posts plus some PB's put a +/-6 inches for tolerance. Glad yours is suitable.

Thanks. This happens a lot if you read other construction posts plus some PB's put a +/-6 inches for tolerance. Glad yours is suitable.
Yeah, our contract has the + or - 6 inches. Not a great clause when it comes to a total of 9 inches. I would have liked 12". Also wished I had asked for a starting 4 foot depth (we have 3 1/2). We didnt find this forum until they were about to dig.

Decking formed. Plumbing passed inspection. Cement coming monday and stonework for waterfall teusday.

Attachments

• sKQ6iE37RRK2448Inl1iPQ.jpg
    sKQ6iE37RRK2448Inl1iPQ.jpg
    684.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 9BUZ17fzRwqRmn50OvGyxg.jpg
    9BUZ17fzRwqRmn50OvGyxg.jpg
    772.8 KB · Views: 70
  • h%icyT68Ruun4M4eVwnr8w.jpg
    h%icyT68Ruun4M4eVwnr8w.jpg
    819.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Love
Reactions: Newdude
Cement and waterfall are in. Hubby is not happy with the height of the waterfall, he would have liked taller. I'm afraid any taller will overwhelm this small pool. We do have a lot of extra rocks to play with.

Attachments

• IFprRpiTTbyuLj%TdlZtWA.jpg
    IFprRpiTTbyuLj%TdlZtWA.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 78
  • p1sIFmQ6TxCVMioX%M7Qxg.jpg
    p1sIFmQ6TxCVMioX%M7Qxg.jpg
    492.8 KB · Views: 76
  • pTB6y5nRTkmSgIczNdv%Eg.jpg
    pTB6y5nRTkmSgIczNdv%Eg.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 78
  • mhygtLtQTr6xgeOtE1lzYQ.jpg
    mhygtLtQTr6xgeOtE1lzYQ.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 76
  • lRrAgZF8TialGJ%nswIQLA.jpg
    lRrAgZF8TialGJ%nswIQLA.jpg
    578.1 KB · Views: 76
Oh also, we are scheduled for plaster teusday- 60% chance of rain that day. No plaster in the rain right? After plaster we just need our cement coating (kool deck) and some punch list items. We are expecting plumbers and electricians for final tweaks prior to plaster. I have 20 potted plants waiting to go into the ground. The delays have pushed me to planting in May in Texas- not ideal with the heat. Hubby is putting in a drip irrigation system so the plants will get frequent watering. So ready to be done with mud! And to have a fenced yard again.

Can you take a pic from the other side of the waterfall? The equipment pad interferes with seeing just the waterfall. Where does the water come out of the water fall? I think I might agree with your husband as it seems kind of low but it may be just the angle.

NO Plaster if there is even a hit of rain!!!!! It can leave streaks on the new plaster and if if pools on the bottom it could leave a ring :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you take a pic from the other side of the waterfall? The equipment pad interferes with seeing just the waterfall. Where does the water come out of the water fall? I think I might agree with your husband as it seems kind of low but it may be just the angle.

NO Plaster if there is even a hit of rain!!!!! It can leave streaks on the new plaster and if if pools on the bottom it could leave a ring :(
If it’s like mine then the water is most likely coming from a pipe under those loose rocks in the top middle.

Reactions: colleenbevans
Yes water will come out of the top middle. I'll get a pic of the back for you Kim, its about 4 foot high. We will be privacy fencing that equipment pad after they finish their work on it. But there are more rocks piled up over there.
They re-scheduled plaster to tuesday now, rain was forecast for today, cloudy but no rain so far. I didnt want to take the chance, so it was a good call.

Reactions: kimkats
Sorry, plaster rescheduled to Thursday (today!!!). Here's a pic of the back of the waterfall- excuse the mess. Also a photo of our extra rocks. I plan to use them in the landscaping, maybe add some to the waterfall. They break easily so I can make smaller rocks for edging etc. I should take a photo of the waterfall from a sitting position on the tanning ledge.

Attachments

• 5bSmDCvRQVaaRD8++NGveQ.jpg
    5bSmDCvRQVaaRD8++NGveQ.jpg
    548 KB · Views: 59
  • MNp8UxohRKi%nYdIjJ1WBg.jpg
    MNp8UxohRKi%nYdIjJ1WBg.jpg
    931.6 KB · Views: 59
Sorry, plaster rescheduled to Thursday (today!!!). Here's a pic of the back of the waterfall- excuse the mess. Also a photo of our extra rocks. I plan to use them in the landscaping, maybe add some to the waterfall. They break easily so I can make smaller rocks for edging etc. I should take a photo of the waterfall from a sitting position on the tanning ledge.
In the home stretch now. Our pools were dug at the same time, mine was gunnited a couple weeks before yours. Yours is gonna finish up a month before mine. Mine probably still could have made Memorial Day if I didn’t add the arbor on back in mid March. I bet your are glad you are almost done.

How many feet of toe tile markers did you do ? Mines ~75’ worth, three full width stairs, a full width bench and then the three benches in the spa. Mines costing about a grand but it’s expensive tile(upgraded three levels from base).

Wow-- I have no idea how many feet of toe tile- its a single width of glass, it was a $200 upgrade to use glass tile (one level upgrade). This is wet edge prism matrix (pebble with cobalt blue glass beads). For trim tile, we did the sun shelf, two stairs, bench in front of spa and bench below waterfall. Not much tile really but it adds a lot of sparkle. I'll post pics when the pool is full.
They are coming back tomorrow to acid wash and start the fill.
Wreckem, could you post a picture of your toe tile? I looked through your photos and didnt see it, maybe its not in yet?

Attachments

• MxMD0JB7S+O2XJS+Sir5nQ.jpg
    MxMD0JB7S+O2XJS+Sir5nQ.jpg
    757.7 KB · Views: 64
  • KnSgv3cORc+VtvH7RbeO1A.jpg
    KnSgv3cORc+VtvH7RbeO1A.jpg
    704 KB · Views: 65
  • sUXVv9TgQ8+cbo5h5AIjYg.jpg
    sUXVv9TgQ8+cbo5h5AIjYg.jpg
    727.5 KB · Views: 62
  • cHRBicMAQNy8lAMI6bHvRw.jpg
    cHRBicMAQNy8lAMI6bHvRw.jpg
    795.1 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
It’s not in yet. They are doing my arbor tomorrow. Exterior clean up and start decking next week. They won’t do toe tile until after interior clean up right before plaster. I guess. My price Makes sense mine was more expensive as it level 4(three tier upgrades). It was expensive to go level 1 to 4 on the water line and rolled beam. Tile is the only real upgrade we did.

It’s not in yet. They are doing my arbor tomorrow. Exterior clean up and start decking next week. They won’t do toe tile until after interior clean up right before plaster. I guess. My price Makes sense mine was more expensive as it level 4(three tier upgrades). It was expensive to go level 1 to 4 on the water line and rolled beam. Tile is the only real upgrade we did.
We went with a standard waterline tile. Our pool company offered travertine coping and quartz plaster as a standard- also all pentair equipment. I liked the standard waterline tile but had to have the glass toe trim :)

WooooHooooo We have water! Still have a punch list but actuator is in, spa jets kick butt. Plaster is Wet Edge Pebble Matrix "Constellation" (website link) Wet Edge | Products | Constellation

Water has been cloudy last two days, filter and pumps running 24/7 and pool company is hear daily testing and treating (with acid and chlorine). Lots of plaster dust from brushing. This morning I got up and the water is clear-- No sun yet - I'll get pictures hopefully before they show up to brush. We are brushing in the evening as well. They are using a taylor test kit- I'm going to trial my kit today and will post results under the chemistry thread. I already know the PH is high. We have a duck problem too.

Problem with toe tile here-- PB and plaster company coming out to address today. We have photos before plaster crew started and it was intact. :mad:
PB states they can patch a tile in... please share your views or experience with this- I'm concerned the patch wont match (poetry right there!)
Edit to tag @kimkats

Attachments

• vI4W2c+SRBqCVO+vceX64A.jpg
    vI4W2c+SRBqCVO+vceX64A.jpg
    801.7 KB · Views: 84
  • XLuLBGAmS0W9XNpDFJ5gbQ.jpg
    XLuLBGAmS0W9XNpDFJ5gbQ.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 83
How in the world did the manage to do THAT????? GURRRRRRRR and sigh.....................really guys? really???

Okay so here are my thoughts IF they have a guy who is top shelf with tile work and VERY Skilled using something small, tiny, very little to cut out that just the right size then no one will even know it was added later BUT (and this is a BIG BUT) if the person does not use their time and skill it could be a big mess. I would as them how they intend to cut out the spot. Ask them for details. Is there ANY way you can be there when they do it? and I DO mean looking over their shoulder to stop them if they start getting wild with their cutting!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.