Household uses for unused pucks?

manfacro

Jul 9, 2018
Davenport, FL
Hi all, just looking to see if anyone has tried any non-pool related uses for left over pucks. Yes, I’m aware they will keep and I can use some on a vacation. But with a SWG, my uses for them are not great.

My first thought was dropping one in the toilet tanks. They make bleach pucks already to put in a toilet tank, so why not a pool pick?

What about running one in the dishwasher or clothes washer to clean them? (Obviously wouldn’t dissolve all the way

Leaving one in gutters to keep the mildew out?

Just a few ideas, didn’t know if it was worth it.

JoyfulNoise

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Toilet tank chlorine tablets are a different chemical. Trichlor pucks are too acidic to leave in a tank or use in a washing machine and would likely damage the valves or pumps.

Leave them for the pool or dispose of them using a local hazardous household waste program.

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
I would think in FL you would be getting enough rain that you would need to perhaps use the tablets to bump up the CYA. So what if they last you many years :D

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Do NOT put them in the toilet tank!! My hubby did that once and it was AWFUL! The smell was very strong and you could almost see the fumes! I grabbed it out and opened all of the windows to air the house out!! He has learned his lesson..............leave everything pool alone!!!