Hotspot FPH saved us during the hottest week so far this summer!

Belikin

Gold Supporter
Mar 15, 2020
NE Florida
For all those interested in the Hotspot FPH system I've got a story that has finally concluded and thought you all might be interested. I installed my system with the build of my pool just a touch over 2 years ago along with several tips and thoughtful advice from folks on here. Right around the same time as DrGlanton. My AC units were both brand new within one year prior to that.
Here in NE Florida, once we're into the full swing of summer, I don't run the FPH as the pool gets plenty warm all on it's own. (our preferred temp is around 87) So, my FPH has been turned off for several weeks and last week my fan on my AC unit died. I'd heard it making it a weird noise and commented to myself that it didn't sound good and a day later it was ded. Called my AC guy, who happens to be the same guy who did the FPH install work for me and he comes and troubleshoots and tells me that the fan is ded and will be replaced under warranty but that the part has to be ordered in and will take several days to arrive. In the meantime, the top of the AC unit is torn up, the fan is removed and the AC isn't runnable all while we are hitting 100 degrees plus every day.
In a nutshell, I turned the FPH back on, set my desired pool temp to the absolute maximum that FPH says is safe (94 degrees with an upper limit of 96) and proceeded to run the AC while waiting for the replacement fan. My pool got HOT, nearly 96 degrees BUT our house was nice and cool.
today, I'm back to air cooling my AC for the summer and my water temp has dipped back down to normal ambient.
Just thought any of you interested in the FPH might be interested in how it saved my family from melting for 5 days.

Reactions: Joshii and JamesW
For all those interested in the Hotspot FPH system I've got a story that has finally concluded and thought you all might be interested. I installed my system with the build of my pool just a touch over 2 years ago along with several tips and thoughtful advice from folks on here. Right around the same time as DrGlanton. My AC units were both brand new within one year prior to that.
Here in NE Florida, once we're into the full swing of summer, I don't run the FPH as the pool gets plenty warm all on it's own. (our preferred temp is around 87) So, my FPH has been turned off for several weeks and last week my fan on my AC unit died. I'd heard it making it a weird noise and commented to myself that it didn't sound good and a day later it was ded. Called my AC guy, who happens to be the same guy who did the FPH install work for me and he comes and troubleshoots and tells me that the fan is ded and will be replaced under warranty but that the part has to be ordered in and will take several days to arrive. In the meantime, the top of the AC unit is torn up, the fan is removed and the AC isn't runnable all while we are hitting 100 degrees plus every day.
In a nutshell, I turned the FPH back on, set my desired pool temp to the absolute maximum that FPH says is safe (94 degrees with an upper limit of 96) and proceeded to run the AC while waiting for the replacement fan. My pool got HOT, nearly 96 degrees BUT our house was nice and cool.
today, I'm back to air cooling my AC for the summer and my water temp has dipped back down to normal ambient.
Just thought any of you interested in the FPH might be interested in how it saved my family from melting for 5 days.
That's pretty remarkable.

We're about to install our FPH units (2x) on two 3 ton Goodman heat pumps. We have Pentair easytouch/screenlogic with an unpgrade to intellicenter on the way from our Pentair rep.

Any pointers with how to interface with Pentair's systems? How was your diverter setup plumbed?

I'm doing all my pre-construction planning right now. I'm looking for some consultants just incase we hit a snag. The people at hotspot energy are awesome but we might need a bit more hand holding.

agree with James copy post above. he was a great help when we were building and installing with giving us a potentially viable option to trick the FPH and Intellicenter using the solar heater input. Ultimately, we had our pool installer plumb for a separate cheapo pool pump with it's own two returns into the pool. So, when our FPH see the AC unit on, it turns on this seperate cheapo boost pump that produces 45 gpm and that is the cooling circuit on the FPH. This was ultimately easier for us since we were installing the pool at the same time. the only interaction our FPH has with the Intellicenter is is that it is plumbed for power from the backup power plug on the intellicenter cabinet itself. Hope that's helpful!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.