Hotspot FPH AC heat reclamation pool heater - a review!

From the FPH docs, it sounds like the way the FPH controller works is it will switch back and forth between air and water cooled each time the AC comes on (via the recovery valve). During the hot months, my AC cycles on and off every 15 minutes or so. This means the FPH would constantly be switching back and forth between air and water cooled, not to mention turning the pool pump on and off, which doesn't seem ideal.

I wonder if there's a way to keep the FPH in water cooled mode permanently, until the pool reaches the desired temp? Any thoughts on this?

So guys, here I am posting the Controller circuit that I came up with to achieve the above. You have to cut the thermostat wire going into the outdoor AC unit and connect it to the controller and then the controller connects to the other end of the thermostat wire going into the outdoor unit. Please poke holes in the circuit plan my if any. Thanks !!

@NJdiy Did you end up doing this? How did it work out? As part of this setup, I'm guessing you'd want the FPH to stay in water cooled mode unless/until air cooling is needed?

Last edited:
The net of all that is the ‘logic’ that is nearly always the same: when the FPH calls for pool heat, and if the AC is on, the FPH closes a relay to tell the pump to come on and drives a relay in the condenser cabinet to switch refrigerant to water cooled mode, while driving another condenser cabinet relay to turn off the cooling fan.

@nuttyp Were these mods that you added on top of the FPH system or does it already do these things?

Last edited:
Hey All,

Great information. I actually read through all 12 pages. I'm seriously considering this product and have started contacting HotSpot. I think the only issue I foresee is finding a HVAC technician that is willing to put in the work to set this up. I live in Bergen County, NJ and am wondering if anyone here has recommendations on a technician.

Thanks

Your best bet is to ask HotSpot if they have an HVAC recommendation. Second best bet is to find a green/alternative type HVAC tech. Maybe someone who deals with geothermal or other creative solutions.

Reactions: Shirker
Hello. We love ours.
1. I run my pump with normal variable settings when the AC is not engaged. My system is set to increase speed when the system activates.
2. I searched high and low for an HVAC person. I finally found someone who understand this was a side job and they we not want expected to provide warranty. Basically it was service and the owners risk. I stood with him and walked him through everything. He had a lot of questions but I got us through it.

You will have a lot of questions. Feel free to reach out.

drglanton, In your attached picture, what is that black cylinder to the right of the Heat Recovery Valve?

drglanton, In your attached picture, what is that black cylinder to the right of the Heat Recovery Valve?
Hope he doesn't mind me answering - it's a receiver.
Black cylinder?
My guess, an accumulator, instead of a balance coil.
Yea, I'm not familiar with HVAC terminology, but Hotspot calls it a receiver. AFAIK, it's meant to hold extra refrigerant on the water cooled side of the system so that the pressure is similar when switching from air cooled.

@newpoolj My system is closed and covered for the winter. I can take more pics in the spring. But the HVAC side I'm not very knowledgeable about. The piping is just sort of ... all there. But I don't know what any of those parts are

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@newpoolj My system is closed and covered for the winter. I can take more pics in the spring. But the HVAC side I'm not very knowledgeable about. The piping is just sort of ... all there. But I don't know what any of those parts are

No worries. The HVAC connections are the slightly complex part with copper pipes running various directions, so I was just hoping to see any pictures of installs to see if anyone had a good layout for organizing the copper connections (the This Old House video actually showed a partially installed system). I'll certainly be posting my install details when it's done, within a couple months.

Something which I never saw was?

If you connect the AC to the pool thru a Hotspot heat exchanger, then doesn't the AC now have to be added to the pool ground point?

I had a 230v pump put 115v into the pool ground system after the pump ground terminal corroded. Good reason for all 230v equipment to be on a GFCI.

After that I added a 230v GFCI and added Ground wires to all metal devices, including the Hotspot copper lines...

So guys, here I am posting the Controller circuit that I came up with to achieve the above. You have to cut the thermostat wire going into the outdoor AC unit and connect it to the controller and then the controller connects to the other end of the thermostat wire going into the outdoor unit. Please poke holes in the circuit plan my if any. Thanks !!
I need to replace the timer in the control box. Do you know the model and where I might be able to find a replacement?

So - this is another thing I would change on the FPH. It is too hard to reprogram the set points. It *could* be as easy as a thermostat. Up and down changes the set point. But it's not. It's confusing as ****. I'm not touching it. The cutoff temp is 90 and I leave it there. It was there all summer and the AC was still better than on air-cooled mode. It works just fine.
I need to replace the timer in the control box. Do you know the model and where I might be able to find a replacement?

Great forum, thanks for all the great information. We live just outside of Tampa (Brandon Area) and just ordered the FPH. Does anyone have any good recommendations on a good installer? FPH recommended one but I am curious to see if anyone has a great experience with anyone in the area. Thanks!

I run my A/C here in Tampa almost 365 days a year. These last few years its been warmer and warmer in the winter. I think last year in January it was almost 85 ever day.

What ac installer did your fph install?

Also, I contacted FPH and they recommended a 2+ hp pump (flat ground, ac is 63 feet away from the pool equipment). Any recommendations on variable speed pump?

Last edited:
What ac installer did your fph install?

Also, I contacted FPH and they recommended a 2+ hp pump (flat ground, ac is 63 feet away from the pool equipment). Any recommendations on variable speed pump?
I have the same question. The guy the company recommended is incredibly hard to lock down for an appointment/time. Curious who else around Tampa/Brandon will work on these.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.