Hotspot FPH AC heat reclamation pool heater - a review!

Joshii

Jul 15, 2013
This is my fourth season with the FPH and I have not had to have any technician touch my AC in all that time. Still works great.

(but now I jinxed it for sure)

nuttyp

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 23, 2014
Naples/Florida
A couple folks asked me if my FPH is still working. hence a quick update: It was still working fine after three years of use, then I sold the home. I learned later that the new owner replaced the AC system, so I presume he tossed all this out, or sold it :-( I have a new place now with larger pool and conventional heater but I don't think I'll deploy another FPH because I'm never sure I'll stay in one place long enough to get the ROI out of it. That said, I may look into EricDu's DIY suggestion pposted above, thanks Eric, although the link in that post seems no longer valid.

nuttyp

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 23, 2014
Naples/Florida
I know this thread is old, but a question came directly to me this week (November 2019), so I post the answer below, for the benefit of others in the forum.

Q: Hey! I was wondering if you could recommend someone to install the hot spot heat exchanger. I'm in Orlando and struggling to find a contractor that will do it. Thanks.

A: The sales folks at FPH have also contacted me once or twice over the years to see if I know anyone in the area, but I don't. Perhaps I was lucky in that both of the first two A/C contractors I contacted were willing to do the job. It may have helped that I was very detailed in what I asked of them. For example I made it clear that I would have others handle the pool side controls and PVC portions, and I only needed the HVAC guys to handle the valves and refrigerant connections involving the condenser unit. I also provided them with all the instructions from FPH and gave some guidance along the way. So I did all the PVC and low voltage controls, water temp sensor stuff, etc., myself - but I believe any experienced pool tech company could do that portion. I think I also let the HVAC guys know that I was not expecting them to warranty the work, so long as they installed the valves and connections per instructions and with no leaks. The HVAC guys didn't think it was that big of a deal, but did require working at their hourly rate because they were unsure how long it would take. My final project costs outline is pictured below, if it helps.

Good luck! Joe

PS While I was always fond of the FPH and the results, there is always the matter of modifying the current A/C condenser unit, voiding the warranty and confusing subsequent repair folks. In my current home I'm considering this instead: SolarAttic | Home Page | The New Fourth Generation Solar Pool Heater

1573241426038.png