D Brown

Feb 14, 2022
Dallas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Recent freezing temps, freeze guard is not working so I turned on both pumps at night. Timer off at 5 pm and I forgot to turn back on until 9 pm (27 deg). Both pumps started and seemed to be OK.
Went back around 3 am and the booster pump sounded like a disposal full of ice cubes and the output hose was hot to the touch. Looked like it might be slipping out of the fitting on top of pump (output). I touched it and it came off scalding my hand in a geyser of very hot water. Replaced the hose and disconnected the pool sweep from the wall fitting. I re-started both pumps and checked for flow from the wall fitting - there was none. I assume that the plumbing from pump to pool was frozen so I turned off the booster pump.
After things warmed up I turned the booster back on, same horrible noise but there was good flow from the wall fitting.
I dissembled the pump. Volute & o-ring OK, no foreign objects, impeller looks normal (not warped or broken). The motor shaft spins freely by hand with no noise and didn't seem to have any play (side to side or front to back). (Didn't try powering it up.)
I replaced the seals. It seems to work normally (other than the loud noise). The motor is normally warm and the hose is cool.
I still can't imagine what caused the water to get so hot.

Any ideas?

Water got hot because the pump was running but the water was not flowing through the pump. That just heats the water in the pump basket.

The shroud may be warped and rubbing on the impeller causing the noise.

See how long the pump lasts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.