Christine Fury

Jun 15, 2021
Galloway ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
In January, my husband and I bought a 1970's split with a 24' AGP and a six-person StrongSpa hot tub. Mind you, neither of us knew a thing about maintaining pools or hot tubs and just thought "cool, we have a pool and hot tub! Lucky us!" Fast forward to now and it's been a giant learning curve learning how to properly maintain these two beasts. With the help of many on the "pool forum" side, I think we have the pool up and running with the proper balance of good chemicals. Now I am turning my attention to the hot tub and need your expertise on where to even begin.

I have the T100 test kit and these are this evening's results:
Using the K1000: chlorine 0! and confirmed with the chlorine drop test - stayed clear and didn't turn pink
pH 8.2+
CH 50
TA 220
CYA 0 - I haven't added any stabilizer as I didn't know how much or if I use the sock method to add just
like I did with pool
We drained the hot tub back in May and refilled it with the garden hose. We are on a well system out here in the country. The water has never been clear even when the water is "fresh" from the hose. We haven't used it in several weeks and the temperature is maintained at 98 degrees.

Thoughts? Advice? Where do I begin? Thank you so much for your help (in advance) and I'm so thankful for all of you that help all of us newbies!

Hi Texas Splash! Hope this message finds you well:). I'm ready to tackle my hot tub chemistry today and I've already hit my first snag and it's a biggie. I've tested for everything and the results are clear that I need chlorine and that TA is way too high at 220 ppm. I read the link that you sent so here are the questions.
1. Where do I find dry or muriatic acid?
2. The link suggested adding borates. Can I just get a box of that from a big box store?
3. I have several gallons of LC bleach/shock at 12.5%. Can I use that or do I need to also buy Dichlor? If so,
where do you suggest I find that?
There are several pool supply stores in my area but it seems I should avoid those like the plague after reading through so many posts on here:)

Here are your answers:
1 - I get my MA from Home Depot's outdoor pool section. Just about any local hardware store should have it. The liquid MA is preferred over dry acid.
2 - The borate level can be raised with a combination of borax and muriatic acid, or with boric acid. Boric acid is available over the internet from places such as The Chemistry Store and AAA Chemicals. For further information on borates see So you want to add borates to your pool–Why and How.
3 - Liquid chlorine can be from Home Depot, Walmart, or just about anywhere that has pool supplies if in stock. Regular bleach can also be used (same thing just lower strength). Your local pool store will have dichlor chlorinated products, probably in bags of shock. Just look at the ingredients with a word that start dichlor .......

If you don't use dichlor (which has some stabilizer in it), then you'll also need some stabilizer. You can also get that at Home Depot or Walmart if they aren't out.
Last question...fingers crossed:). Can I use the Pool Mate stabilizer and conditioner that I used for my pool in place of Dichlor? I still have a bag left. If Dichlor is better then I am heading to our local spa/pool store to buy Dichlor.

Can I use the Pool Mate stabilizer and conditioner that I used for my pool in place of Dichlor?
You can. The end goal is to have a CYA of about 20-30 ppm. Just be sure to keep the FC balanced accordingly and never let it drop to zero. See the FC/CYA Levels for FC and CYA balancing.

On a fresh fill use Dichlor until you get to 20-30 ppm CYA. (10 ppm FC = 9 ppm CYA)
Then switch to plain bleach or liquid chlorine.
Never let FC drop to Zero for any length of time. Keep it between 3-6 ppm normally, min of 1 ppm, and shock to 12 ppm once a week.
Use MPS if needed before hot tub party's and/or once a week to help oxidation. Don't use more than needed, because it's acidic and may lower your TA/pH.
Dichlor, Bleach and MPS is all you need to keep your tub sanitized.
Use PoolMath to calculate exact amounts to add.

Hey Christine 👋
As far as dichlor goes, Walmart sells 99% dichlor in the spa section for about $10 in a handy container w/ no “blue” ingredients.
I usually use that to get me started upon fresh fill (be aware of its acidic effects on ph) PoolMath effects of adding can help u there. I also use it once every few weeks or so to replenish cya as the heat in a spa + the volume of splashout can really decrease cya over time making the fc quite harsh.
putting such a tiny amount of stabilizer in a skimmer sock & trying to dissolve it can be tedious & i have had mixed results. I am only on my 2nd container & this is the 3rd year with my hot tub.
I use one of those little plastic adjustable measuring spoons for my spa stuff. & google conversions to convert oz to tsp/tblsp
D0B17100-17C8-4721-B5C4-BE2B6B309932.jpeg
Happy Tubbing 😊

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey Christine 👋
As far as dichlor goes, Walmart sells 99% dichlor in the spa section for about $10 in a handy container w/ no “blue” ingredients.
I usually use that to get me started upon fresh fill (be aware of its acidic effects on ph) PoolMath effects of adding can help u there. I also use it once every few weeks or so to replenish cya as the heat in a spa + the volume of splashout can really decrease cya over time making the fc quite harsh.
putting such a tiny amount of stabilizer in a skimmer sock & trying to dissolve it can be tedious & i have had mixed results. I am only on my 2nd container & this is the 3rd year with my hot tub.
I use one of those little plastic adjustable measuring spoons for my spa stuff. & google conversions to convert oz to tsp/tblsp
View attachment 358252
Happy Tubbing 😊
Thank you mdragger88! I just got back from Menards and was able to get a gallon of muriatic acid. I think I'm ready to tackle this hot tub and hopefully get it as clear as the pool water:). I have stabilizer, acid, and liquid chlorine so I think I'm ready. I did read the label on the acid and it says not to mix with chlorine. Am I using the stabilizer and acid first to get TA under control and then adding LC once everything else is good?

You just don’t wanna mix chlorine & acid- leaving a few minutes to allow for distribution between additions with the jets running should be sufficient. You want to maintain at least minimum fc according to the FC/CYA Levels all the time so account for the bather waste loss when using the tub. Basically start at target level for your cya then test after a soak & see where u stand - you will get a feel for how much an average soak for 1 person or 2 people will use. As well as what a non used tub will consume daily.
Only lower ph to 7 (which will also lower ta) then aerate to raise ph without raising ta. Repeat until your ta is where u want it.
It happens pretty quickly in a spa w/ the jets. I usually am able to get it done in one day in my small 200 gal tub. Whereas it would take me a week to accomplish it in my pool. My fill ta is 110 & i lower it to 50 .
If using granular stabilizer in a sock/skimmer sock/hose be sure to tie it off in some way so it can’t get sucked into your plumbing. I tie mine onto a hole in my skimmer’s weir.

Your help was invaluable yesterday and I thank you! It took about 2.5 hours, about 28 oz. of MA (in 4 oz. increments over time), and many pH tests (I might need to purchase more of the red chemicals to test pH because I did it so many times) but I finally got the TA to 50 from 220 and pH stabilized around 7.4. I also added 1.6 oz. of stabilizer and 3 oz. of LC (which turned out to be a little too much) but it's a start. My FC was 6, CC .5 so TC was 6.5. CH is still 50 ppm as I haven't treated that yet. I think I'm off to a good start and will retest today.

Again, THANK YOU!

Reactions: Mdragger88
My husband has taken to calling me his little "aquatic engineer" because I love all of this pool/spa chemistry stuff! He even used the word "obsession!" YIKES...maybe:). Yes, it took 2.5. hours but I felt so accomplished at the end knowing that I did this without the help of the "pool experts" at the pool stores. I am so incredibly thankful for this site and all of you TRUE experts!

He even used the word "obsession!" YIKES.
That's is a fairly common way to describe TFP members who know how water "should" be maintained. Just wait until you go on vacation somewhere and look at the hotel's pool/tub. You will cringe at the thought of what's floating in there.

So true! I will never look at another pool the same way again even if it's crystal clear :ROFLMAO: I am a first grade teacher and there was a point in time when studying life in the ocean was part of our curriculum. We had specimens of ocean life in formaldehyde to show the children. After that study, I never wanted to go back into the ocean!! Could be the same for me and other pools now:)

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.