Hot tub turning silver jewelry black

erivette

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
South Texas
We finally got my brother's hot tub cleared up. But now it's turning his wife's silver jewelry black. What could that be? I just came back from testing his water.

FC 4
TC 4
PH 7.6
TA 60
CH 160
CYA 30

He wants to use chlorine, but his wife is convinced chlorine is the problem because this never happened when he was using bromine.

Thank you!

Well, silver oxide is black. Not to impugn the taste your sister-in-law has in jewelry but cheap silver (silver plated jewelry, "sterling" silver with low silver content, etc) will tarnish a lot faster than pure silver jewelry. Chlorine in water is certainly an oxidizer and a spa has plenty of dissolved oxygen in it when the jets are going. So it is entirely possible for silver oxide to form and tarnish her jewelry even when sulfates are not present (sulfates speed up the chemical tarnishing process). Why bromine did not do this previously is not entirely clear but it could be that bromine is just a weaker oxidizer than chlorine with respect to silver metal.

The solution - tell your SIL to remove the jewelry before she uses the tub...no sense in accidentally /getting a pair of earrings sucked into the plumbing....

Possibly a reaction to ozone if you have an ozonator. There will be less ozone in a bromine tub because the ozone gets used up oxidizing bromide to bromine.

Chlorine can cause silver to turn black.

"The solution - tell your SIL to remove the jewelry before she uses the tub...no sense in accidentally /getting a pair of earrings sucked into the plumbing.... "

..................^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^......................

Wow. I have owned a hot tub for at least 20 years (and nearly in it every night), and my wife and I never remove any jewelry when getting into it. We have never had jewelry tarnish. Our spa is 340 gallons and bromine sanitized. I also have a chlorine based swimming pool (granted not nearly owned as long as owning spas) with the same results as my spa. No tarnished jewelry and no chlorine smell. I am going to have to agree with Joyfulnoise and lean a bit towards the jewelry quality and not the spa chemistry. Does anyone else's jewelry react?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Guys, you forgot the most important thing, keep the brothers wife happy by making her jewellery sparkle again!! ;)

Easiest way to untarnish silver (I use it on my silver all the time):
- Get a heatproof glass bowl
- Line with tin foil (aluminium foil) shiny side up
- Add 1 cup of baking soda per gallon of water used
- Pour over the boiling hot water and stir to dissolve soda
- Immediately place silver items in the water, making sure it touches the foil and is fully submerged

DONT use on silver that has embedded stones/gems as it may damage the setting

Why this works
When silver tarnishes, it combines with sulphur and forms silver sulfide. Silver sulfide is black. When a thin coating of silver sulfide forms on the surface of silver, it darkens the silver. The silver can be returned to its former luster by removing the silver sulfide coating from the surface by polishing and the other is to reverse the chemical reaction and turn silver sulfide back into silver.

The tarnish-removal method used above uses a chemical reaction to convert the silver sulfide back into silver. Many metals in addition to silver form compounds with sulphur. Some of them have a greater affinity for sulphur than silver does. Aluminum is such a metal. In this experiment, the silver sulfide reacts with aluminum. In the reaction, sulphur atoms are transferred from silver to aluminum, freeing the silver metal and forming aluminum sulfide. The reaction as a chemical equation.

3 Ag2S + 2 Al --/> 6 Ag + Al2S3

Silver sulphide + aluminium ---> Silver + aluminium sulphide

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.