Apr 12, 2016
Kershaw, South Carolina
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So I have a new (couple months old) 450 gallon Cal Spas hot tub and loving it. I have my water balanced and I go with the MA and liquid chlorine method used here on this forum. TA is around 40, CYA about 30, Not sure on the hardness but my well water is very soft, PH stays pretty stable Maybe add 1/4 oz MA twice a week or so. I use my hot tub morning and night almost every day. I normally add about 2 oz of 10% pool chlorine as I'm getting out (2 x a day) and test every couple days Taylor 2005 Kit a Leslies rebrand and adjust as necessary.
So going through this much chlorine every day I'm thinking about one of those SWG's (I have one built in in my pool), so my questions, not necessarily brand or model , but how well do they work, and where to get power for one. I am assuming they are 110v , my hot tub is out by itself on the edge of the concrete pool surround with the 220 running through conduit and coming up through the concrete inside the hot tub enclosure. Can I steal power from one leg of the power that supplies the hot tub? I do not have an outlet by the tub and do not want to run something over the concrete (conduit or something) that I will most definitely stub my toe on every single day!
And then the SWG itself I see most have the generator hanging over the side if the tub, can the tub be used with it in there or do you need to take it out every time? And I have heard they burn out rather quickly, no? I really do not want to plumb it into the plumbing on my new hot tub, thinking that would kill the warrantee.

Thoughts, answers, recommendations???? Thanks.

You can pull power off 1 lead to get 120v, might have an electrician do it unless your comfortable doing it..

SWG :)

No big deal doing that , would just need a waterproof junction box in the enclosure to split it off, then add an outlet to plug into.

So do one of those take care of ALL my chlorine needs like in my pool or do I still need to add some? I take it you like the SWG yes?

I have psoriasis and I loved my hot tub but my skin paid the price... had to go and I am building a sauna now.. :)

Reactions: A.O.
Love my SWCG and I don't take it out when I'm using it. I have a SmarterSpa and love that you can control the low chlorine and high chlorine level range. I generally add some bleach after use so the tub chorine never drops to zero. Otherwise, I don't need to add or test chlorine. Here's my write up about my SmarterSpa.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Love my SWCG and I don't take it out when I'm using it. I have a SmarterSpa and love that you can control the low chlorine and high chlorine level range. I generally add some bleach after use so the tub chorine never drops to zero. Otherwise, I don't need to add or test chlorine. Here's my write up about my SmarterSpa.

So I've been thinking an SWG for my hot tub off an on, but every one who has one says they add some liquid chlorine after use so whats the point!! That's all I do now is add some chlorine after every use so, what do I gain from a SWG????

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you are away from home and your tub for more than a weekend a SWG would have you covered. I turn my temp down and bump the FC and that works too when away.
When we are away its never more than 3-4 days, just been using one of those floater dispensers... dont do it enough to worry about the CYA going nuts..

I was thinking that with the SWG I would not need to dose my tub with chlorine twice a day.. apparently not the case though..

Be aware that using trichlor in a hot tub will raise FC and lower pH very rapidly. Those 8oz tabs dissolve very quickly in hot water and the tub is a relatively small water volume.

Be aware that using trichlor in a hot tub will raise FC and lower pH very rapidly. Those 8oz tabs dissolve very quickly in hot water and the tub is a relatively small water volume.
Yep, thanks, been doing it for years.. And I use the 1 inch tabs.. 0.5 oz each

Reactions: Oly
So I've been thinking an SWG for my hot tub off an on, but every one who has one says they add some liquid chlorine after use so whats the point!! That's all I do now is add some chlorine after every use so, what do I gain from a SWG????

That's a good and reasonable question. I like the the SmarterSpa unit because I don't need to add any chlorine if I'm not using my hot tub it to keep the FC from dropping to 0. Also, I like how I feel like I can run the tub at lower chlorine levels so when I get in my chlorine is in the range of 1.5 -- 3.5. I add a little chlorine after use to ensure it never drops to 0. I've spoken with other folks on this forum that don't add chlorine after using their tub with a SWCG. If I decided to do that, I would probably raise the range and keep my FC to like 3-5 ppm or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: cowboycasey
That's a good and reasonable question. I like the the SmarterSpa unit because I don't need to add any chlorine if I'm not using my hot tub it to keep the FC from dropping to 0. Also, I like how I feel like I can run the tub at lower chlorine levels so when I get in my chlorine is in the range of 1.5 -- 3.5. I add a little chlorine after use to ensure it never drops to 0. I've spoken with other folks on this forum that don't add chlorine after using their tub with a SWCG. If I decided to do that, I would probably raise the range and keep my FC to like 3-5 ppm or so.
Seems everyone I've seen with a SWG still adds chlorine after use.. (which is all I do anyway..)

Last edited:
Seems everyone I've seen with a SWG still adds chlorine after use.. (which is all I do anyway..)
Yeah just from seeing your comments seems like you use the hot tub a lot so I don't know if a SWG would be of much benefit to you because you're right, you probably have to dose with chlorine after use.

With my tub sometimes I don't get in it for a week (this heat!) so at least during those 7 days the SWG takes care of the chlorine for me and I do nothing with the tub until I go in again. If I ever do go on vacation again I'd trust the SWG to keep the chlorine levels up too.

Yeah just from seeing your comments seems like you use the hot tub a lot so I don't know if a SWG would be of much benefit to you because you're right, you probably have to dose with chlorine after use.

With my tub sometimes I don't get in it for a week (this heat!) so at least during those 7 days the SWG takes care of the chlorine for me and I do nothing with the tub until I go in again. If I ever do go on vacation again I'd trust the SWG to keep the chlorine levels up too.
Yes, that makes sense, I am in mine pretty much everyday.. in this heat (90's) I turn it down to 102, if I get too hot I just jump in the pool after..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.