Hot tub delivered, a couple of questions on the items they gave me...Metalgone and Nature2

jrogers4649

Sep 30, 2019
Westminster, Massachusetts
Hi,

Never had a hot tub before. We got a Nordic Escape SE delivered. I read the hot tub section and I plan on dichlor to bleach. They told me to add the entire bottle of Metalgone and run for 2 days before anything else. I have a well. I just want to confirm this stuff won't cause loads of other chemistry problems.

Apart from that I've read various thing about this Nature 2 thing that is in my filter. I've read various things in other threads. I'd just assume remove it rather than fuss with some added component to my chemistry. In addition I've read about ozonator lowering chlorine or something like that. My manual has no option to turn it off. It apparently turns on only when filtering.

Any tips or things I need to be concerned with on these items? I'm waiting on the electrician to complete hookup. Thanks in advance!

As for the metalgone if you have never had a metals/ iron issue with your pool you likely don’t need it. As far as the Nature 2 cartridge- u can definitely remove it & just follow the dichlor then bleach method. If you already have stabilizer on hand for the pool you can use that to get 30ppm cya & forego the dichlor as well (i put some in a skimmer sock tied in a knot in my spa - its such a small amount it dissolves quickly). I prefer doing this as dichlor tends to affect my ph so i just use it occasionally to top up cya.
I have no experience with ozone so your testing results will have to guide u on that one.
P.s. did u get any Ahhsome? It’s recommended to purge/flush even new spas as they are wet tested at the factory so biofilms can accumulate in transit.

Hmm, they maybe did give me some ahhsome or something like that. I never heard of it. I saw it in the bag of stuff they gave me and saw it said "clarifyer" so I assumed I would chuck that in the trash. I guess I have too much pool experience and no hot tub experience. I don't have an CYA on hand as it was added when my pool was installed last year and I've not needed any additional. I have well water but it wasn't used to fill my pool (pool company trucked it in for me). So no idea yet if I have metal. I think it's likely I have iron so I'll use the metalgone, ditch the Nature2 and go from there. Thanks for your help!

Well, I am just about the only guy here that likes nature2 and ozone, so I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.
Nature2 does not replace or lower the needed amount of chlorine. Think of it as a backup. It has slow kill times, but it does destroy pathogens including chlorine resistant bacteria, such as cryptosporidium.
Ozone is an oxidizer that does not really establish a residual. On a timed system, as opposed to 24/7, it is not very effective, as it only destroys cc that it contacts. The flow rate off of a jet pump bypass is tough to determine short of installing a flow meter, so there is no telling what the turnover is on that system. It will be useless against pathogens at such low exposure/ turnover rates.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hello jrogers4649: You did get the package of Ahh-Some Hot Tub Plumbing & Jet Cleaner with your new Nordic Hot Tub. Nordic includes a sachet of the Ahh-Some with all new hot tubs they manufacture. Be sure to use it just prior to your first drain and fill. The Nordic Hot Tub people are not only building a great and very reliable hot tub, but they also want you to get started in the right direction regarding your water maintenance program. The Nordic team of professionals don't try to sweep biofim issues under the rug. They want you to fully understand that in order to have more time enjoying all the soaking enjoyment you and your family will experience over the years that there are a few housekeeping issues you must learn to deal with. One of these issues is to perform periodic "purges of organic biological gunk and contaminants" that may be colonizing in those warm and dark recesses of the entire plumbing and jet infrastructure. Easy to do and not much time needed for the benefits it will afford you. You have pool experience as you have said. Remember, a hot tub is very different from a pool when it comes to water chemistry. This forum will assist you. Every step of the way. Congratulations!

Thanks guys. So I did find the Ahhsome packet. It was between paperwork. So should I'm guessing that Ahhsome should be used and then drain the hot tub and refill. If that is the case do I need to do this on my first fill? I read above that they wet test it and yes, I'm very aware of biofilm issues in pipes. I'm in biotech so we have lots of protocols to clean in place our piping. My hot tub was just built and shipped in the last 2 weeks so it's very new. I suppose there could be growth in the pipes already.

Oh and great idea on pumping water from the pool. But the pool won't be open yet for this first fill. I supposed in the future it will be, although the CYA range is higher than in the hot tub. Maybe a mix of fresh water and pool water. Oh but on second thought, salt water pool. So I'm thinking I don't want the salt, albeit a low concentration, in the hot tub.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.