Hot Tub Basics

Gebo

Bronze Supporter
Aug 23, 2023
VA
Moved from Here

My HT is in storage waiting til my deck gets completed in about 3 weeks. I will be a new owner. I am learning so much here in this forum.

Can yall tell me “exactly” what went “wrong” in Spawife’s situation here? Keep it at a 6th grade level, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
in her case things aren’t necessarily “all out of whack”. Her fc went below minimum & she raised to slam level to overcome any funky stuff that may have proliferated in that time which was the correct move.
Her measured ph was high because the ph test is skewed at fc levels above 10ppm.
Here’s the guide for hot tubs so you can get an idea of what to expect

Gebo, there were several factors which the other poster had some issues. There was some confusion about the SLAM Process and when to use it, using MPS products, etc. But if you have any questions about your hot tub we'll be happy to help.
Much appreciated!

My first Hot Tub is in storage until we get the Trex down on my refurbed deck. Just got the electric run yesterday. Only trying to figure out what was done wrong so I don't get myself in the same jam. I have a printed out copy of Nitro's Water Balance Tutorial. I have my pool chlorine from Rural Retreat, Taylor test kit and a bunch of stuff from Awwsome. Got my pump drain. I'm watching and learning.

in her case things aren’t necessarily “all out of whack”. Her fc went below minimum & she raised to slam level to overcome any funky stuff that may have proliferated in that time which was the correct move.
Her measured ph was high because the ph test is skewed at fc levels above 10ppm.
Here’s the guide for hot tubs so you can get an idea of what to expect
I got Nitro's info. I was just trying to learn from her experiences so I may not repeat them. ;)

I got Nitro's info. I was just trying to learn from her experiences so I may not repeat them. ;)
1st priority - Keep fc above minimum for your cya at all times
FC/CYA Levels
2nd- ph in the 7’s.
3rd- all the rest 👍🏻

1st priority - Keep fc above minimum for your cya at all times
FC/CYA Levels
2nd- ph in the 7’s.
3rd- all the rest 👍🏻
Thank You !!!! That is great info. I have the chart that corresponds exactly with your table.

I know I can read and I have read what you wrote. Just to be 100% clear. 100%. The first two things you wrote are what I should make sure I always am taking care of and in that order.
Come heck or high water.......

Now, do you have a place you like to run CYA? Is it from 30-60? I am assuming 40-50 would be the ideal range????

I know to add dichlor to get the CYA up. I am guessing it is not an exact science and some art will be involved in getting the CYA to exactly where you want it.

Thank You !!!! That is great info. I have the chart that corresponds exactly with your table.

I know I can read and I have read what you wrote. Just to be 100% clear. 100%. The first two things you wrote are what I should make sure I always am taking care of and in that order.
Come heck or high water.......
Fantastic 👍🏻
Now, do you have a place you like to run CYA? Is it from 30-60? I am assuming 40-50 would be the ideal range????
Around 30ppm is plenty & makes it readable on the test. Above 50 gets a little hard to maintain.
I know to add dichlor to get the CYA up. I am guessing it is not an exact science and some art will be involved in getting the CYA to exactly where you want it.
PoolMath effects of adding (in the hamburger menu)
will show you exactly how much cya each 99% dichlor dose adds along with its other effects - no guessing necessary.
Just keep track of it

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I fell asleep reading Nitro’s tutorial last night at bed time. Not bored. Just after 11 pm. Lol

I want to thank you for your advice and help.
Jason Sudeikis Ted Lasso GIF by Apple TV

The down and dirty to what you need to do.

Fill the tub, add AhhSome, and purge. Wipe away the gunk. Add another does of AhhSome (no need to drain) and look for more gunk. Don't stop until no more gunk comes out.

Drain the tub, wipe it down.

- You have now cleaned your tub of all the stuff in it from wet testing at the factory (and there may be a lot of stuff)

Refill the tub.

Do what @Mdragger88 says about dichlor and CYA.

Check your FC, CC and pH pretty much daily for the first week. Don't panic when your pH keeps rising and you need to add acid every day. It will do that until the pH and TA come to an agreement

On that note, don't go trying to force the TA to where you think it needs to be. Let the pH and TA come into balance and eventually your pH will get stable.

Check your CYA every so often. Hot tubs loose CYA to heat degradation. Not super fast, but it does happen.

Check your levels, clean your filters, wipe down the waterline

enjoy your hot tub

Thank you phonedave! I really appreciate the heads up about letting the pH and TA balance out. That would have freaked me out.

Glad to help. As a point of reference, when I do a water change in my hot tub, it takes about 7 to 10 days of me adding 2 oz of acid on a daily basis until things stabilize.

Yours will differ based on the composition of your fill water and how your jets work (aeration is what causes pH to go up in a hot tub), but 10 days of daily acid dosing is not out of the question.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.