Hot Springs hot tub, chlorine level will not come down

Razorhog

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2013
Northeast Arkansas
I have a Hot Springs hot tub that I've had for about 8 months. It has the freshwater salt system, which has been GREAT so far. It maintains CL without me doing anything. Unfortunately I ignored it for a while and the FC level went through the roof. It was 30+ last week. Turned the salt system to off and thought it would come down fairly quickly. It's been a week and the FC is still at 15ppm. Either it is still making chlorine while off, or it just takes a long time for that much FC to dissipate. Anyone else experience that?

Is there a cover on the hot tub?

Leave the cover open during the day and the suns UV rays will burn off the chlorine. With the cover closed there is nothing that will attack the chlorine to lower it.

How_Can_Free_Chlorine_be_Lowered_in_Pool_Water

Reactions: Razorhog and A.O.
Do u have cya in the tub? If so you can safely use it so long as its not above slam level for your cya FC/CYA Levels.
Some organics (people) will surely lower the fc. Along with the sun as mentioned above. I wouldn’t use my best speedo when dipping though 🤣

Do u have cya in the tub? If so you can safely use it so long as its not above slam level for your cya FC/CYA Levels.
Some organics (people) will surely lower the fc. Along with the sun as mentioned above. I wouldn’t use my best speedo when dipping though 🤣
No CYA, I haven't used dichlor in months because of the SWG. When testing the other day I got a single drop on my new hoodie and it left a bleach spot :( This whole fiasco started right as the ice/snow started so yesterday was the first day in over a week I could really get to it. I had covered it with a tarp just in case we lost power. I would have removed the tarp, covered it in blankets and put the tarp back on and just hoped nothing froze. Anyway, I'll let the FC come back down (hopefully get some sun on the water today) and then re-balance the water and turn the SWG back on. Thanks!

U might want to add some it will help with the harshness on your equipment & yourself - about 30 or 40 ppm is recommended. U can just use the granular u use in the pool in a tied up stocking/ skimmer sock - it probably wouldn’t be but a few tablespoons.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.