Hot Pool Water

Serious1

Silver Supporter
Jul 13, 2016
NE
I leave my cover on when the pool is not in use and run the pump at night in these hot temperatures. The water is well over 100 degrees in the top layer under the cover. Is this bad for the liner? The water showed 108 after circulating for about 10 minutes, 20 minutes after that it was 92. I don't want to circulate the hot water during the day unless there is a potential of ruining the cover and/or liner.

You have to be careful with a cover. Obviously I'm in a more extreme climate but I once left my pool covered too long and it got up to nearly 98F bulk water temperature. Not only do all of the chlorine reactions, including self-extinction, double in rate BUT the mid to high 90's is considered the "Goldilocks" zone for bacterial growth - "not too hot, not too cold, but juuuuust right...". If your FC were to bottom out while the water is that warm, you could easily see an explosion of bacterial growth (colony forming doubling times for bacteria can be as short as 45mins). I would say you should uncover the pool during the day and let some of the heat out and then cover it at night to retain the heat you want. The liner and cover are likely fine, I'd much more concerned about your chemistry and sanitation.

Reactions: borjis and BowserB
Thanks for the reply.

FC tested at 6 on the top step where the water would be the hottest with no circulation. We have a lot of humidity so uncovering doesn't really do much to temp, but circulating would ensure FC would stay up in all areas. We'll be in the 100's by the end of the week so I could leave it running on those days. My long term solution would be to add a sun sail to cover at least half the pool.

Solar heating would be helpful as you can run solar at night and it will act as a cooler that radiates the heat away. A sun sail is a fine idea as well, but I'd think a solar setup would offer more flexibility in controlling the water temperature.

A solar set up isn't really feasible with all the obstacles. Also, In Nebraska we don't have much cooling at night when you factor in the heat index and this time of year is the worst with the fields growing and producing even more humidity. This week will be heat stroke week. Last week was tornados, flooding and hail. Maybe we'll get snow next week, you just never know...

Reactions: borjis
A solar set up isn't really feasible with all the obstacles. Also, In Nebraska we don't have much cooling at night when you factor in the heat index and this time of year is the worst with the fields growing and producing even more humidity. This week will be heat stroke week. Last week was tornados, flooding and hail. Maybe we'll get snow next week, you just never know...
Sounds like Wisconsin in September!

Reactions: Serious1
I'm trying to keep my pool cool as well, here in OK. I've been opening the cover at night when temps are cool hoping to cool it off; during the day if not in use, I close it most of the way. Trying to figure all this out, our pool was just recently installed.

I've tried 1) open all night with pump running, closed with pump off during the day 2) closed all the time, pump just running at night 3) open all day and night, pump running 4) closed day and night with pump running 4 hours in the am and 4 in the pm.... nothing makes much difference. We just don't swim when it's overly hot or just swim after 6pm when the shade covers the pool. We like to use the splash pools 30700 waterfall pool fountain and float under it on a raft which cools you down a little but not as much as it would if the air was dry.

I've seen posts where people made some pvc fountain contraptions to pump the water through and cool it down.
I'd be doing that if my water was that warm and solar installation is not an option.

On a really hot day, I will swim in a pool as low as 78 degrees, but prefer 85. For me there is no chill factor at that temp.
I had solar at my first house. In my region keeping the heat is more of the problem then having too much.
But once I ran the solar heater a bit too long and it made the water 87. Couldn't even swim in that, it felt like hot bath water.

Amazing what a difference 2 degrees can make, comfort wise.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.