Hose kinks! HELP!

I bought a house that came with a pool. The pool hose was fantastic for 2 years. Then it got a hole, and I had to replace it. Since then, I have NOT been able to get a hose that does not do THIS. A kink gets developed in it. The sides suction in. I research the hoses before buying so this should not be happening.

I spent a lot of time trying to research this, and all the articles talk about replacing the hose but very few talk about how to prevent this in the first place. The few that do talk about changing the suction, and suction being too high. But, their in-depth articles, talk about things MY system doesn't have. For the record, I have a Pentair Clean & Clear Plus, if it matters. Please help. Hoses aren't cheap.
2020-04-29.jpg 2020-04-29 (1).jpg

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

What brand and model suction side cleaner do you have?

It appears you have too much suction on the cleaner. Some cleaners come with a ftting that allows you to adjust the suction. Can you post a pic of the equipment from a better angle and show what each pipe is for?

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

What brand and model suction side cleaner do you have?

It appears you have too much suction on the cleaner. Some cleaners come with a ftting that allows you to adjust the suction. Can you post a pic of the equipment from a better angle and show what each pipe is for?

Mine does not come with such a fitting. Moving from right to left. The first blue knob is the jets. Second is a bubbler. Third is an aerator. The first black knob is a fountain. and the other turns the jets on from the skimmer instead of the vacuum. 2020-04-29 (3).jpg

Since that Jandy valve allows selecting skimmer or vacuum - or any combination of the two - set it to allow less suction on the cleaner side. This will also allow the skimmer to function while the suction cleaner does its thing.

Reactions: RDspaguy and Leebo

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since that Jandy valve allows selecting skimmer or vacuum - or any combination of the two - set it to allow less suction on the cleaner side. This will also allow the skimmer to function while the suction cleaner does its thing.
I'll try that. i just can't imagine why that would suddenly be a problem when it's been in the same position since I moved in. :(

Possibly thinner walled hose?

Stick around the site and read up on our pool care method. How are you chlorinating your pool? Add you pool info to your signature so we know a bit more about your pool.

Reactions: IHateThis
Possibly thinner walled hose?

Stick around the site and read up on our pool care method. How are you chlorinating your pool? Add you pool info to your signature so we know a bit more about your pool.
I've tried 6 different hoses now of varying thickness in the wall of the hose, including the thickest i could find. I've checked out the reviews of all of the hoses, and no one complained about this. I don't think that is the problem.

Anyway. i set it to a quick clean and started by turning the Jandy valve halfway. The hose stopped sucking at all. Then a quarter, and it wasn't strong enough to move. And then an 1/8th and it was not strong enough to climb walls. Now it's like....barely moved at all. But I have an odd question...So I'm not entirely sure what all that valve is for, I just know it switches that. But I also know it stops water from going to the filter. I don't know where it goes otherwise. Will changing this, damage my pool somehow? I mean i guess if the suction isn't from the vacuum, then it's not sending debris elsewhere but....i just know that the jandy valve blocks one of the 2, either th vacuum or the skimmer. WhenI turn it, the block moves to the filter, so water doesn't run to the filter anymore. So when it's only partially turned....it partially blocks that? I'm an amateur, i'm sorry.

The pump will still suck the same amount of water. The valve merely changes the balance of that suction between the cleaner and the skimmer. If too much suction is pulled from the cleaner and the hose starts sucking in, you might hear the pump strain as the suction on the cleaner increases.

If you can't get that valve balanced to properly operate the cleaner, try reducing the pump speed. The rpms on the quick clean setting may create too much suction.

Mine has a fitting like the one linked below that plugs into wall. It allows you to reduce suction to the hose by allowing water in through the regulator. This will also help protect the system if the cleaner gets clogged.

You may have one laying around from the last owner. See the manual posted by @proavia

Reactions: Leebo and IHateThis
No worries on being a newbie - we were all there once. Good job on the signature. If you can add info on your pump, that would help (looks like a Pentair VS of some type).

On the Jandy valve, look at the top cap just under the handle (the cover with the screws in it) - where is the word INLET positioned?

No worries on being a newbie - we were all there once. Good job on the signature. If you can add info on your pump, that would help (looks like a Pentair VS of some type).

On the Jandy valve, look at the top cap just under the handle (the cover with the screws in it) - where is the word INLET positioned?
I don't understand? I put that it is a Pentair Clean and Clear pump? and um...there's literally nothing written on that cap. Nowhere does it say INLET on it. 2020-04-29 (4).jpg2020-04-29 (4).jpg2020-04-29 (5).jpg2020-04-29 (6).jpg2020-04-29 (7).jpg2020-04-29 (10).jpg2020-04-29 (11).jpg2020-04-29 (12).jpg2020-04-29 (13).jpg1

Attachments

• 2020-04-29 (8).jpg
    2020-04-29 (8).jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 2020-04-29 (9).jpg
    2020-04-29 (9).jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 7
In the pic below, the pump is circled in red, the filter in black. Your filter is a Pentair Clean and Clear Plus (CCP) cartridge filter. The pump is a variable speed Pentair. We just need to know the model (Intelliflo or Superflo etc) and model number. When diagnosing problems, it sometimes helps others to know the type of equipment involved.

2020-04-29 (1).jpg

Reactions: IHateThis
In the pic below, the pump is circled in red, the filter in black. Your filter is a Pentair Clean and Clear Plus (CCP) cartridge filter. The pump is a variable speed Pentair. We just need to know the model (Intelliflo or Superflo etc) and model number. When diagnosing problems, it sometimes helps others to know the type of equipment involved.

View attachment 135747
Oh ok. That's why I included all the pictures so I could give as much info as possible. Um.....I'll try to find that out. There's writing on the side somewhere that said pentair but I don't know what it says yet. I'll get back to you. Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.