Virginia Beach, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I am in the process of likely replacing / upgrading most of my main equipment in the next 8 - 12 months, and I'm very much into home automation - specifically Apple HomeKit due to it's security.

I did a Google search, but couldn't find anything regarding a HomeKit enabled system. I would love to be able to set automations on my pool, especially my pumps.

The only HomeKit automation I have today is the pool light since I just placed a Wemo light switch on the switch that controls the light.

Thanks!

If you are looking for a simple home brew WiFi control vs spending $$$ on pool automation system, you might be interested in my experience.

if jandy control panel, the below will do it. Or are you looking to remove / replace the control panel altogether?

Edit after the two posts below. If you continue to use a Jandy/Pentair etc control panel and only use home automation that interfaces to that panel (ie something like the above). You are NOT dependent on wifi / home automation / something else to control your pool equipment, the panel still does that and all the appropriate checks. But now your home automation can control the equipment through the panel if you want to. It acts and looks just like an existing keypad to the control panel.

Last edited:
I would LOVE for my HA system to control my pool. And since upgrading all my old Insteon devices to their newer mesh/RF versions, my system has become near 100% reliable. And that's the rub, the "near" part. Every once in a while my fax machine comes on. I can't find the cause. Probably an intermitent, faulty Insteon outlet device. Or some command has to be repeated before a light will come on: maybe some sort of mesh network interference issue. And far too often, the devices just croak and need to be replaced, in or out of warranty. For faxes and lights, no big deal. But for pool equipment, that has valves that have to turn in sync, or pumps that must turn on and off as programmed, or acid dispensers that can't pump acid into SWGs or they might create poisonous gas, things can't be "near" reliable. Granted, no pool electronics are 100%. It's not possible. They're electronics. But I want to believe my Pentair gear is as close as possible (and it certainly has been more reliable than my HA). Just pointing out something to think through before you put some powerful and potentially dangerous components into the hands of inexpensive HA devices, Apple (or others') software, and/or DIY solutions.

I like Apple, my house is filled with their products. But I'm still remembering the time I called support to complain about my calendar app, which kept losing my appointments and events. Their response? "Well, we designed that for consumer use, not for professional applications." Wha?!? So I can only rely on it to remember things I don't really need to remember? Nice.

HA is in its growing-pains stage. It's awkward, pre-teens years. I'll let it turn on and off my lights (even my pool light). It'll get the keys to the Ferrari when it can pass its driver's license test! I complain often about how slow Pentair and the others are to adopt now-mainstream technologies (HA, WiFi, ethernet, and other non-proprietary solutions, etc), but there's something comforting about the fact that my pool's controller has been doing its thing, in 1000s of pools, in the same way, for a decade or two.

Last edited:
When I set up my system, I was very careful to avoid using the WiFi system for any mission critical switching.

edit:
BTW, my home brew system has operated flawlessly since the day it was installed. No failed switches and no phantom activations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirk
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.