Home Depot HDX Chlorine from April

As mentioned by the poster above, the LC you purchased is definitely usable, it's just not 10% anymore (it's probably closer to 5% now). Most HD's store the LC outdoors in the garden area and it may be subject to direct sunlight which will contribute to weakening the chlorine.

See below for a chlorine half life chart.

Table1JPG_JPG.webp

Piggybacking on the OP's post. I'm about to close my pool and still have about 10 gallons of HDX chlorine in my shed. I have had it a little over a month so I'm sure it's not still 10% with the heat in August and September. Should I expect any degrading of the strength of the bleach once temperature start to cool and or very cold over the winter? I'm certainly not going to throw it out or anything but should I expect 5% in the spring?

Piggybacking on the OP's post. I'm about to close my pool and still have about 10 gallons of HDX chlorine in my shed. I have had it a little over a month so I'm sure it's not still 10% with the heat in August and September. Should I expect any degrading of the strength of the bleach once temperature start to cool and or very cold over the winter? I'm certainly not going to throw it out or anything but should I expect 5% in the spring?

Based on tables in the links below your 10% will likely be 6% - 7% in 6 months if stored at 70 degrees.

Love the table showing LC half-life at various temps. I store my LC in a closet inside the house, so it stays at 75 degrees once I get it home from the store. My Home Depot also stores the LC inside, so it's temperature controlled there as well, at least once they've gotten it into the store.

Question about the half-life graph. Assuming constant temperature, is the degradation of the LC linear? Can I assume that my 10% bleach is about 9.5% after a month, if stored at 75 degrees?

Question about the half-life graph. Assuming constant temperature, is the degradation of the LC linear? Can I assume that my 10% bleach is about 9.5% after a month, if stored at 75 degrees?

It doesn’t look linear but looks like the loss can be around 1% month for the first few months.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.