Home Automation and Integration with Alexa / Google Home

Sammy2- that's what I'm thinking of. Z-wave switches and some relays to control actuators, heater and a Hayward VS pump in relay control mode. Seems pretty straight forward and a lot less $$ than the manufactured automation solutions.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sammy2- that's what I'm thinking of. Z-wave switches and some relays to control actuators, heater and a Hayward VS pump in relay control mode. Seems pretty straight forward and a lot less $$ than the manufactured automation solutions.

I'm in process of setting this up right now for my new SuperFlo VS Pump anyhow using MIMO2+ switches and my Vera.

I'm just starting to wire things as I open my pool. I'm using a combination of remotec dry contact relays for low voltage, (actuators, heater, VS motor control) and Enerwave switches for line voltage. It will all run through Smarthings and Alexa. Good luck!

Enerwave switches are at 120 Volts, right? I am having issues with my Autelis to Jandy ATM. I might just go that route and replace all the relays controlled by the Jandy board and take out the Jandy board altogether, using Vera and Z-Wave to control everything and taking out two pieces of equipment (the Autelis and Jandy) and just have the relays. They are reliable and they are easily controllable too. I have relays now connected to the Jandy so I'm not adding more relays but rather replacing them with more modern solid state equipment.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, the MIMO2+ is a dual relay that costs a bit less than two of the remotec relays but not considerably less. It is $80 and those are $43 each. Worth a look.

- - - Updated - - -

That said, getting feedback from the heater and JVA's, etcetera is crucial in properly operating my pool so I'd need to figure that logic out (in my spare time.. LOL!).

Enerwave switches are at 120 Volts, right? I am having issues with my Autelis to Jandy ATM. I might just go that route and replace all the relays controlled by the Jandy board and take out the Jandy board altogether, using Vera and Z-Wave to control everything and taking out two pieces of equipment (the Autelis and Jandy) and just have the relays. They are reliable and they are easily controllable too. I have relays now connected to the Jandy so I'm not adding more relays but rather replacing them with more modern solid state equipment.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, the MIMO2+ is a dual relay that costs a bit less than two of the remotec relays but not considerably less. It is $80 and those are $43 each. Worth a look.

- - - Updated - - -

That said, getting feedback from the heater and JVA's, etcetera is crucial in properly operating my pool so I'd need to figure that logic out (in my spare time.. LOL!).
That's right - the Enerwaves are 120v. I looked at the MIMOs but I read that getting the ST hub to play nice with them was kludgy. It doesn't like to recognize dual switches.

It took a little effort for sure.

In Vera it is in the parent "Appliance Control Module" Device Options as such and entered as Variable 1 and 2 with on byte decimal value 0 for latched versus momentary contact:

Appliance Control Module Settings.jpg

But if in Smart things it doesn't show both switches, that is an issue.

I'm very interested in how you set all this up. The logic to get temperature feedback from the pool to cycle the heater and control Jandy Valve Actuators is a bit important I think. It is one thing to turn a pump off and on. I can see valve actuators being controlled by the MIMO2+ because they can be timed to shut off when in the proper position but the heater control from a varistor is something else altogether to get in the logic of Vera or Smarthings I think.

My set up will only switch the heater between standby, spa and pool modes using the heater's presets. I'll use the heater's internal sensor for temp control, so I'll have no feedback externally. It will have relay control of the VS pump, lights, two actuators and two spa booster pumps. I'll post a work-in-progress schematic when I'm at a real computer.

That's doable with exception of the spa.. We want to be able to adjust that from the spa using a smartphone because sometimes we want 98 and sometimes we want 104.. The pool, OTOH, is usually just set it and forget it at 84.

I am interested in how this all pans out too. I know you're using Smartthings but FWIW, I posted it in the Vera forums.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just want to update my thread and let you all know that Pentair has incorporated Alexa skills. I'll try it next week when my equipment is all hooked up. But Pentair shared a video of this in action.

Now I just need to find a conspicuous spot near my pool to hide an Echo Dot.

The kids will love the ability to say "Alexa, tell Pentair to turn on the waterslide".

Pentair ScreenLogic® Interface for Amazon Echo™ - YouTube

The skill has been available a few months. I'll say that it worked well the first couple of months, but in the last 3 weeks I've had to reconnect the skill twice. I don't know if Alexa is the issue or Pentair - I seem to think Alexa is though because I just go update my ID and PW and all works well again.

Alexa has issues in general. Ours loses wifi signal and needs reset every couple weeks or so. I also have it connected to a light switch and it loses that signal occasionally as well.

Google Home is so much more reliable but is also limited. We keep both on the counter and use them for different things. Alexa is good for adding calendar events and telling me whats on my shared calendar. Google is good for music and answering questions. It also keeps our grocery list.

Fat chance of having Google Home add Pentair automation anytime soon...

Alexa has issues in general. Ours loses wifi signal and needs reset every couple weeks or so. I also have it connected to a light switch and it loses that signal occasionally as well.

hmm, bummer. My Echo Dot has never lost connection to my network. My other devices have fairly regular hiccups though. The Sonos bridge locks up now and then, and my Hue bridge throws a fit often - maybe once a month.

I wanted to bring this thread back from the dead with home automation and smart devices becoming ever more popular. Has anybody had any luck automating their pool equipment using Google Home? I am starting to plan my pool build and would like to be able to integrate (assimilate?) my pool equipment with my Google assistant. It would be nice if there was some out of the box pool equipment that talked nicely with Google, and if not, what work arounds have people come up with? Thanks.

I've got Pentair ET8 with Screen Logic and Alexa - other than the two becoming unpaired once in a while - it's pretty cool and slick. Works well. I just went to Pentair and Google and looked - neither seem to mention supporting Google Home. Pentair does not show up when searching their apps and partners. Surprised it hasn't happened yet, but maybe there just isn't enough installed base yet.

Don't trust it!...............My Smartthings hub lost it's zigbee mind last week and I get to add every little thing back in when replacement arrives.
Was just over a year old.

Someone needs to make the IoT equivalent of software as a service to back up those settings ;) As my son claims, home automation has not quite "matured".

D-red1 -- choose Pentair equip and easy touch for your best out-of-box odds and pick up an echo dot. (You can have fun letting google and dot slug it out.)

OR, if you're running some kind of home automation setup such as Vera, use zwave pool automation such as Intermatic pe653 and try your and at integration that way. Again, the Echo has been cited as operative in these conditions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.