Hollow sound under Pebble Tec - cause for concern?

Hi all,
We recently purchased a home with a pool, and this is our first pool ownership experience. We have a raised Pebble Tec finished spa that overflows into the pool and we are assuming the pool/spa are approximately 10 years old (we are the 3rd owner of the home). There is a localized spot on the SPA wall and bench (underwater) that sounds hollow when tapped. Based on some online research through TFP and other sites it appears that this is due to delamination of the Pebble Tec from the underlying gunite. While we know the cause if more than likely delamination, what I'm unsure of is what's the overall risk? Is it just a cosmetic issue that we can deal with when/if it breaks off from the gunite, or are there larger concerns that need to be addressed such as the gunite being compromised that could lead to leaks? Just trying to get an overall gauge of how concerned we should be.

Thanks for the help and thoughts!

d,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all your Hollow Sounding questions... :drown:

You are most likely correct about the delamination... It could stay that way forever or fall off tomorrow, it is hard to tell.

I have had a couple of pools re-plastered.. After the water has been drained they take a hammer and go around tapping looking for those hollow spots. In both pool they found several hollow areas. But... had I not re-plastered I would not have ever known they were there..

If this were my pool, I'd just ignore it until it becomes a visual issue.

The plaster is what makes the pool waterproof. So once it becomes a visual issue it needs to be repaired, but it will not comprise the gunite and there is no real rush to get it fixed.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.