Hockey Season is upon us

19redwings said:
Are we seeing the crappiest officiating EVER?

Getzlaff gets called for touching a wing with his stick!? But, it is ok for Pronger to wrap both arms around a guy, pick him up and throw him to the ground?

Announcer: " Well, it looks like they are calling stick infractions, but as long as you are physical, that is ok"???

Give me a break.

Should make for exciting games both EC and WC.

couldn't believe it either. At least we got our payback at the end.

19redwings said:

Getzlaff gets called for touching a wing with his stick!? But, it is ok for Pronger to wrap both arms around a guy, pick him up and throw him to the ground?

Announcer: " Well, it looks like they are calling stick infractions, but as long as you are physical, that is ok"???

Give me a break.

I agree, terrible officiating. I'm all for letting the players decide the outcome, they push the line between legal & penalty as it is, but when it is obvious there should be a call made regardless of who (AO) it is or what period.

I was fortunate to attend last nights Wing game, the Joe was incredibly loud the last 3 minutes. Kind of wish Boston would have beat Carolina to have 3 original 6 teams. Hawks/Wings will be a great round, not like it use to be though.

krcossin said:
I was fortunate to attend last nights Wing game, the Joe was incredibly loud the last 3 minutes. Kind of wish Boston would have beat Carolina to have 3 original 6 teams. Hawks/Wings will be a great round, not like it use to be though.

I'm jealous!! At least the game was televised here. Game 5 wasn't.

You could tell in the third after the Ducks tied it (and after the penalties that were and were not called) that Detroit didn't know what was allowed and what wasn't. Really game Anaheim the edge until the goal.

Oh, and I hate Boston! Although, I believe there should be no NHL in a state that does not at least border a state that touches Canada.

[quote="19redwings]<snip> Although, I believe there should be no NHL in a state that does not at least border a state that touches Canada.<snip? [/quote]

Why? So hockey can become even more of an irrelevant sport than it is now in the US? Like him or hate him, Bettman is trying to grow the sport and increase the fanbase. Ten years ago, I could've cared less about hockey; now I go to the games, watch it on TV, talk about it even though my knowledge of the game is still very limited, and buy NHL garb. We have kids here in Nashville that are growing up playing hockey now, and most (if not all) of our high schools here in the metro area have hockey teams now that compete against each other.

I don't get the hockey snobbery sometimes. Isn't more fans for your favorite sport a good thing?

19redwings said:

Give me a break.

If Jordin Tootoo had cold-cocked somebody like Scottie Walker did the other night, Toots would've been suspended for ten games minimum. The officiating has been a joke pretty much all season long.

MikeInTN said:

Hockey is a third tier sport. We all need to admit that. I have family in Raleigh and they had to go to 5 different places before they found one that would put the Canes game on. So, yes, there are more fans. But in reality, there are teams where they shouldn't be. I do not mean it to be snobbery, that would be elitist. How is one elitist for a third tier sport?

Glad to see you support your team!

19redwings said:
MikeInTN said:

Hockey is a third tier sport. We all need to admit that. I have family in Raleigh and they had to go to 5 different places before they found one that would put the Canes game on. So, yes, there are more fans. But in reality, there are teams where they shouldn't be. I do not mean it to be snobbery, that would be elitist. How is one elitist for a third tier sport?

:shock: :shock: OMG..a Red Wings fan said that hockey's a third tier sport? Isn't that the seventh sign of the apocalypse?? :lol: j/k. Unfortunately, hockey is the fourth of the Big Three (NFL,NBA,MLB), and I don't see that changing any time soon, especially since they don't have the big TV contract the other sports do. Can you imagine what a hockey team could do with getting $100 million from TV alone?

I agree, there are teams where they don't get the support they need, with Nashville being right there among them. The business plan of the NHL is for about 60-70% of the seats being bought by corporations, with 30-40% being bought by individuals. In Nashville, it's reversed - the individual fan buys about 60 - 70 % of the tickets. I'll be the first to stand up and say that if the city/area doesn't support the team, then by all means, relocate the team. But I stop short of saying "you shouldn't have a team, because you're in whatever geographic area". I get so sick and tired of Canadians saying Crud like that. I mean, we left them curling, didn't we?? :wink:

Anyways, no prob on my end. I'm just a little touchy sometimes when someone tells me that hockey shouldn't be anywhere except on the northern border. It's all good. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
19redwings said:

Seeing as I LIVE in Raleigh-Durham, I find that statement ludicrous and, more to the point, it stretches credulity! Every sports bar down here had the game on and used this as advertising to get people in the door. Even the little pizza place down the road had the game on Thursday night, and that's run by a Pittsburgh family. Everyone here in town is walking and talking hockey. Best thing about Southern hockey: tailgating in February in 60 degree weather, and our playoff airport ritual. Caniacs rock!
http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/1529795.html

I absolutely abhor the elitism and contraction talk, and the original six teams are not without their problems. I'm from Chicagoland and grew up living and breathing Hawks hockey in the 60's - 70's. That once proud and original six franchise WAS Crud for years recently until Mr. Wirtz died. Now, his son has the turned this team around and it's been a joy to behold, especially seeing them beating up on Detroit last year (thank god for Center Ice). Toronto's management has been a joke for years. Montreal couldn't win against a pee-wee team, basket cases for goalies and ego's galore. Rangers can't seem to stay away from Avery. Boston, well, they're done for the year. The Jacobs family may make a mess out of that team over the summer, so stay tuned. The Red Wings have been the only constant through these past 2 decades, but even they had very lean years in the 70's - 80's.

There's been some abysmal failures and decision in some of the upstart franchises, like moving the Florida Panthers arena to the suburbs from downtown Miami. Killed their attendance immediately. Same with the Coyotes. I foresee the same happening to the Devils. Who the heck wants to go to Newark, let alone see a hockey game. I use to live in N. Jersey and it was a quick 45 minute drive to the Meadowlands. Even if I lived there now, I know to stay out of Newark at night. And then there's Edmonton. It seems players want to leave there as soon as they get there.

I'm no Bettman apologist and the NHLs TV contract with Versus leaves me scratching my head. However, I find it exciting that there are little kids down here, and further south, that talk with a twang (and not an "eh") and are growing up playing hockey. The league can't just depend on Canadians to fill the rosters. The game also needs more fans in order to gain in market share. Unless you want it to be a third tier, elitist sport where you stay the top dog?

And Marillion Fan:
Yes, it'll be a Staal - Staal series. Have you heard of the Staal brothers drinking game? I hadn't until today. I may try it games 1 & 2, as I'll be at Games 3 & 4.
http://pghbloggers.org/node/281932

Thanks for taking care of Ovenchicken. I was smiling as Sidney stole the puck from him and scored on the breakaway. I look forward to ending YOUR season.

We have unfinished business with Detroit.

MikeInTN said:
:shock: :shock: OMG..a Red Wings fan said that hockey's a third tier sport? Isn't that the seventh sign of the apocalypse?? :lol: j/k. Unfortunately, hockey is the fourth of the Big Three (NFL,NBA,MLB), and I don't see that changing any time soon,

Anyways, no prob on my end. I'm just a little touchy sometimes when someone tells me that hockey shouldn't be anywhere except on the northern border. It's all good. :goodjob:

I said third tier. You mentioned tier 1. Tier 2 is college hoops and college football.

Yes, we are that far down the food chain. :(

ivyleager said:
19redwings said:

Seeing as I LIVE in Raleigh-Durham, I find that statement ludicrous and, more to the point, it stretches credulity! Every sports bar down here had the game on and used this as advertising to get people in the door. Even the little pizza place down the road had the game on Thursday night, and that's run by a Pittsburgh family. Everyone here in town is walking and talking hockey. Best thing about Southern hockey: tailgating in February in 60 degree weather, and our playoff airport ritual. Caniacs rock!
http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/1529795.html

I absolutely abhor the elitism and contraction talk, and the original six teams are not without their problems. I'm from Chicagoland and grew up living and breathing Hawks hockey in the 60's - 70's. That once proud and original six franchise WAS Crud for years recently until Mr. Wirtz died. Now, his son has the turned this team around and it's been a joy to behold, especially seeing them beating up on Detroit last year (thank god for Center Ice). Toronto's management has been a joke for years. Montreal couldn't win against a pee-wee team, basket cases for goalies and ego's galore. Rangers can't seem to stay away from Avery. Boston, well, they're done for the year. The Jacobs family may make a mess out of that team over the summer, so stay tuned. The Red Wings have been the only constant through these past 2 decades, but even they had very lean years in the 70's - 80's.

There's been some abysmal failures and decision in some of the upstart franchises, like moving the Florida Panthers arena to the suburbs from downtown Miami. Killed their attendance immediately. Same with the Coyotes. I foresee the same happening to the Devils. Who the **** wants to go to Newark, let alone see a hockey game. I use to live in N. Jersey and it was a quick 45 minute drive to the Meadowlands. Even if I lived there now, I know to stay out of Newark at night. And then there's Edmonton. It seems players want to leave there as soon as they get there.

I'm no Bettman apologist and the NHLs TV contract with Versus leaves me scratching my head. However, I find it exciting that there are little kids down here, and further south, that talk with a twang (and not an "eh") and are growing up playing hockey. The league can't just depend on Canadians to fill the rosters. The game also needs more fans in order to gain in market share. Unless you want it to be a third tier, elitist sport where you stay the top dog?

And Marillion Fan:
Yes, it'll be a Staal - Staal series. Have you heard of the Staal brothers drinking game? I hadn't until today. I may try it games 1 & 2, as I'll be at Games 3 & 4.
http://pghbloggers.org/node/281932

Thanks for taking care of Ovenchicken. I was smiling as Sidney stole the puck from him and scored on the breakaway. I look forward to ending YOUR season.

We have unfinished business with Detroit.

You may not want to believe it, but my statement is fact. My sister LIVES in Raleigh and she, my brother-in-law and my dad had to go to 5 places one night during the NJ series to watch an away game. They have been to every home game of the playoffs.

Well that was just a terrible last game for the Ducks! I cannot believe they were unable to score with 5 on3. Not once, but twice! UGH!
Well, since Ducks are out....

[center:3tipuyw0]GO PENNS!!![/center:3tipuyw0]

I do not feel this is wrong...I was born there. :-D

jabsaw said:

[center:3ln0yh1k]GO PENNS!!![/center:3ln0yh1k]

Where should they go? LOL

Penguins are great. My kids love the movie where the one penguin tries to be the surf champion. Penguin is the fruit of the ice. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, penguin-kabobs, penguin creole, penguin gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple penguin, lemon penguin, coconut penguin, pepper penguin, penguin soup, penguin stew, penguin salad, penguin and potatoes, penguin burger, penguin sandwich. That- that's about it.

ivyleager said:
jabsaw said:

[center:2fj6xfvg]GO PENNS!!![/center:2fj6xfvg]

Where should they go? LOL

Penguins are great. My kids love the movie where the one penguin tries to be the surf champion. Penguin is the fruit of the ice. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, penguin-kabobs, penguin creole, penguin gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple penguin, lemon penguin, coconut penguin, pepper penguin, penguin soup, penguin stew, penguin salad, penguin and potatoes, penguin burger, penguin sandwich. That- that's about it.

lol

Penguins may be tasty, but you have to catch them first! :p

Great game from both sides. I cannot believe how quickly those teams move the puck from one end to the other. The Ducks don't move that well on a good day!

I must also say the puck handling is really good. If the rest of the games are this fun to watch, I would say we are all winners! :goodjob:

That goal falls under the "even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and again" category....pure old-fashioned blind-***ed luck!

Wow, Kronwall absolutely crushed Havlat tonight. Looked like a legal hit to me, but I have a feeling he's going to have to answer for it come next game. Reminded me of the hit Brian Campbell laid on RJ Umberger back when Umberger played for the Flyers. Do a search for it on Youtube. :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.