Hired new company for opening and I was not aware they don't vacuum, etc.

pilotx1982

Jun 5, 2023
New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I hired a new company, and all they did was remove the cover, put on the fittings, start the filter, connect the chlorinator and add shock and earth for DE fluid. Anyhow, I had to leave on a business trip and can't do anything for about 5 to 6 days. I let the filter run for 2 to 2.5 hours and the PSI went up about 10 from baseline, so I backwashed it and added DE. There is nothing in the chlorinator (as I don't want to raise CYA level too much and use liquid chlorine thought out the pool season.

Anyhow, I might reach out to an another company that does vacuum to come this weekend. But at this point, should I keep the filter running each day while I am away or just wait till next week and shock it/vacuum etc?

I hired a new company, and all they did was remove the cover, put on the fittings, start the filter, connect the chlorinator and add shock and earth for DE fluid. Anyhow, I had to leave on a business trip and can't do anything for about 5 to 6 days. I let the filter run for 2 to 2.5 hours and the PSI went up about 10 from baseline, so I backwashed it and added DE. There is nothing in the chlorinator (as I don't want to raise CYA level too much and use liquid chlorine thought out the pool season.

Anyhow, I might reach out to an another company that does vacuum to come this weekend. But at this point, should I keep the filter running each day while I am away or just wait till next week and shock it/vacuum etc?
You dont have a leaf rake or a pool cleaner/robot?

Yesterday had a CO open my pool (basic opening). They removed the cover, connected everything, started the filter and added shock/earth. The PSI of the filter went up about 12 after it ran for 2.5 hours (it was pretty nasty after opening). I backwashed it, added 6.0 earth, and added 2 gallons of liquid extra chlorine and then had to leave on a 6 day business trip (my wife will clean skimmers, etc). I was under the impression the basic opening would cover would vacuum, but I guess not.

I plan to be back in about 5 days, I made an apt with another co to come vacuum/balance chemicals. But I am thinking, perhaps I can balance the chems myself and just have them brush/vacuum it (I am super busy when I come back and head for MDW a few hours after I land from business trip)

I have a chlorinator, but I stopped using it last pool season cause it raised CYA levels (per the advice of this forum). I use liquid chlorine. My wife had the sample tested today at Lesies and here are the results:

How many hours a day should I run the filter before I balance and the co vacuum (no one is using the pool)?
Recommendation of what brand chemicals to add to balance it when I am home in 5 to 6 days?

Thanks...

IMG_1839.jpeg
IMG_1833.jpeg

Pool at opening vs this afternoon:

IMG_1827.jpeg
IMG_1840.jpeg

Last edited:
Get a Taylor K-1006C or TFT Test Kits on order that will be waiting when you return. Then post the results of your testing and we will advise what to do.

We don't provide water chemistry advice based on unreliable Pool Store tests.

I suggest you do not follow whatever Leslie told you to do based on that test.

While you are gone have your wife add 1 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine daily.

Reactions: pilotx1982
Get a Taylor K-1006C or TFT Test Kits on order that will be waiting when you return. Then post the results of your testing and we will advise what to do.

We don't provide water chemistry advice based on unreliable Pool Store tests.

I suggest you do not follow whatever Leslie told you to do based on that test.

While you are gone have your wife add 1 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine daily.

Which test kit of those two would you recommend to a beginner using these type of test kits.

Which test kit of those two would you recommend to a beginner using these type of test kits.
They are basically the same with the same tests.

TFT test kits are a better value and the Pro version comes with the stirrer which is very helpful for testing.

I broke down the details here. Please do as the next post asks as well.

I ordered the PRO. Based on the pictures above, would it be ok to use the robot and not bother paying the pool co to vacuum, or is that too thick on the bottom for the robot?

Robots aren't made for heavy cleanups IMO. They sure try though. Your choice if you'd like to run many cycles, or pay for a 1 and done.

Or purchase a manual vac setup and DIY.

Robots aren't made for heavy cleanups IMO. They sure try though. Your choice if you'd like to run many cycles, or pay for a 1 and done.

Or purchase a manual vac setup and DIY.

The company is coming tomorrow to vacuum. I won’t be home till tomorrow, but today my wife noticed that the flow seemed weak in the pool so I asked her to check the PSI. Since I backwashed it Friday (after it ran for 2.5 hours post opening) it went up from 10 PSI to 27 PSI. I told her to shut the filter off as I will be home. I hope a simple backwash will fix this? It’s a DE60 Filter.

73809202669__38CA1AFB-B8C8-46C0-B076-11631462898F.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hope a simple backwash will fix this? It’s a DE60 Filter.
It should. It may clog quickly again if algae is brewing. A fair possibility with a late opening.

You will have your test kit and the TFP army by your side though, so you got this.

It should. It may clog quickly again if algae is brewing. A fair possibility with a late opening.

You will have your test kit and the TFP army by your side though, so you got this.
Ok,

The pool company vacuum, the water looks murky. They did a water test and these are their results:

Chlorine - 0
Ph - 8.0
Calcium -150
CYA - 0
Alcanidity - 55

I did my own test with the new test kit and I go similar results:

Chlorine - 0
Ph - 8.2
Calcium- 150
CYA - less than 30 (I could see the black dot when the cylinder was filled
Alckanidity- 50

The pool math app shows how to add of what, but can I add it all together or which order should I add the chemicals in. The water looks cloudy.

update:
1. I added about 9lbs of Alkalinity Up (baking soda) and will wait 4 hours or so to add dry acid (4lbs). Should I use shock or liquid chlorine to raise the FAC and when? Should I add stabilizer and hardness tomorrow?

Thanks

Last edited: