Hight salt and PH Levels

mizzamouse

Silver Supporter
Jul 10, 2017
Woburn/MA
Good morning!

This morning I noticed my SWG flashing the "High Salt" warning. The light flashed before about a week or two ago, and then it stopped blinking without me having to change anything. (It did rain, however) In addition to the high salt warning, I've noticed that my PH level is consistently around 7.8, and I find myself adding 20oz of muriatic acid each morning to bring to 7.5, however, the very next day I'm adding another 20oz.

Of course, we have a bunch of people coming today to use the pool, but I don't think a high salt reading is something to be concerned about today. (unless I'm wrong)

Does adding liquid chlorine increase the salt level by chance? Would even 60oz increase salt levels by a noticeable amount?

I don't have a salt tester and only rely on the SWG light (no digital readout of levels) and the pool store reading.

Friday's full test minus salt:

Friday -

FC- 6 (added 60oz friday night)
CC - 0.2-0.5
TA - 80
CH - 325 (Added 4lbs of calcium chloride)
CYA - ~70
PH - 7.8 (added 20oz)

My last pool store salt reading was about 4000 (but from July 15th)

Sunday mornings chlorine and PH test:

Sunday

FC - 7.5
CC - 0
PH - 7.8 (added 20oz)

Good morning!

According to the manual ( https://www.pentairpool.com/~/media/websites/pool/downloads/sanitizers/manuals/intellichlor_owners_manual_version_3_units_after_nov_2011_english.pdf ) the high salt warning comes on when salt levels are above 4500ppm.

60oz of 12.5% bleach added to your 18000 gallon pool would only add 5.4ppm to your salt content.

The cell will continue to produce chlorine regardless, and a few backwashes/topoffs should take care of the high salt warning.

You should consider investing in a proper salt test. The Taylor K-1766 is the industry standard, and the one that I use.

Thanks!

I just ordered the Taylor kit. The kids had a blast today, but some were complaining about their eyes toward the end of the day, probably related to the higher salt levels.

I'll have to backwash a few times and top off to see if I can bring the salt levels down a bit.

Typically stinging eyes are due to pH being out of range. Your eyes are pretty immune to salt, I swim in the ocean with my eyes open.

Take care.

Hey, Guys,

I continue to hear complaints about peoples eyes burning after using the pool. My PH levels are always around 7.5-7.8 max, so I'm wondering if something else might be causing this. Any thoughts?

Here are my latest complete test results as of Friday

FC- 8
CC - 0
PH - 7.7
TA -80
CH - 350
CYA - ~60
Salt - 4200

Only thing I see is the salt is a bit high, but that should not be an issue. You can try pushing your pH down to 7.4 and see if that helps.

Be sure whomever is having the issue is not rubbing their eyes when in the pool. That can irritate them, and is most prevalent with smaller children.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.