Higher CYA = lower pH?

Jun 7, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
quick question. We use trichlor at work for our jaccuzi. I've been draining it once a week to keep the CYA down to below 100. Over 100 and you get shut down by the health department.

I want to keep the pH from rising fast. I drained the jaccuzi, filled it up, added acid to get the pH to 7.2. Not even an hour later, after 4 people get in the jaccuzi, the pH went up to 8.0

Since the jaccuzi was just filled with fresh water, the CYA was close to 0

If I keep the CYA at around let's say 60, would it prevent the pH from rising that fast? FC is gonna be around 5 to 7 ppm. TA is around 110.

CYA is acid, so it will lower the pH as it is added. After the initial drop it won’t affect your pH regardless of level (using more Trichlor will).

TA buffers pH. The higher the TA the more difficult to lower the pH and the easier to raise the pH with aeration. I guess 110 is your fill TA in this case.

It is not recommended to use trichlor in spas due to their acidic nature as well as the fact they dissolve too quickly in the heated water. Also be sure you are adhering to the FC/CYA Levels to maintain sanitary water conditions.
Here’s a helpful tutorial 👇

It's a hotel pool, and trichlor is the only disinfectant we can use because of the size of the pump room. There's not enough room for anything but a trichlor feeder.

I need a way to prevent the pH from goin up too fast. We can't hand douse while the pool is open.

we have an IPS ORP controller, but there's nothing hooked up to the pH controls.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.