High voltage leak on ProLogic GLX-PCB-PRO board

Oct 12, 2017
Ocala, Fl
I have a PS-4 with the GLX-PCB-PRO board. I am developing software to drive my VSP pump motor with an external industrial VFD instead of the Hayward drive electronics, which just fails too often.

I have the system working. Using an ESP32 micro driving two serial ports and RS485 converters. One port talks to the PS-4 the other talks to the VFD. I translate PS-4 commands to VFD commands and turn on/off/change speed of the pump.

While developing this I found that the com ports on the PS-4 have a 120VAC component on all pins. I actually got a mild shock touching one of the RS485 wires. There is still 11VDC across the 1 and 4 pins (1 and 3 on the board header locations) of the ports, and the RS485 differential signal is fine. I use the 11VDC to power the ESP32. I see the AC voltage if I measure from a pin to a ground point in the PS-4 cabinet.

I suspect it is leakage from a switching mode power supply on the GLX-PCB-PRO board.

My board had several features broken, AUX1 was burned out, Lights stuck on, then the filter relay drive burned out. After finding the 120VAC I decided to replace the board.

The new board has the same 120VAC on the com port pins. I am wondering if anyone else has this AC leakage onto their com ports?

I doubt anyone here has gotten into the board electronics at the level you have except maybe @JamesW

B&L Enterprises repairs Hayward boards and maybe they will talk with you.

I will work on the scope setup, my Tektronix 456 scope hasn't been powered up in about 12 years.

The voltage is easily seen with a DVM set to AC Volts and probed from any of the com port terminals to equipment ground (bare wire from main breaker box).

Note that I took the board to the bench and jumpered 120VAC to it and the voltage appeared that way also. So I don't think it is a wiring issue in my PS-4 panel.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.