Mar 16, 2021
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello Everyone,
We have been battling with our indoor pool for months through a pool supply store saying we have high TA. We received our Taylor2006c kit this week and sure enough it shows a TA of 300. Our pool is cloudy and we suspect it’s part of a previous algae issue that was never fully fixed using store chemicals. We would like to start the slam process but we are concerned with our TA reading be so high. PH between 7-7.2 on the test scale. Should we get our TA in check before the slam process? We have read mixed reviews on high TA affecting chlorine levels so just looking for advice on where to start.
Thanks in advance,

Welcome to the forum!
Can you provide a full set of test results from your test kit?
It is difficult for water to have a TA of 300 and a pH of 7.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Sure thing - I can test this afternoon when we return home from work and repost details. We understand that it is odd to have high TA and lower PH but both PH tests last night showed max 7.2 when we did it which puzzled us. And these numbers were in line with the previous pool store reading as well. Hopefully we can get to this bottom of this using everyone’s help. I can report back with more details!

Reactions: mknauss
@mknauss, it’s always reported that a FC over 10 makes the PH test invalid but does it affect It in a specific way, like make it read always low/high ? Or does it just give a random result that isn’t true with said result all over the place ?

It's almost impossible for the TA to be 300 with the pH at 7.

Make sure that you are doing the test correctly.

Can you describe how you do the test?

What are the calcium and cyanuric acid readings?

What are the details of your pool?

What is the water temperature?

When did you assume responsibility for the pool?

What were the original readings?

What has been added so far?

Has bromine ever been used in this pool?

What chlorine has been used?

How old is the pool?

When was it last drained and refilled?

If the alkalinity really is that high and the pH really is 7, then the alkalinity is probably something other than carbonate.

It might be cyanurate, phosphate, borate or maybe DMH from bromine.

I suspect that you might end up needing to drain and refill if it can be done safely.

Pools can pop out of the ground or be otherwise damaged when drained.

So, consult a local professional to determine if the pool can be safely drained and refilled.

The history would help confirm if the water is salvageable or not.

We have been battling with our indoor pool for months through a pool supply store saying we have high TA.
What exactly does this mean?

What's been done so far?

What's not working?

I'm assuming that you have lost confidence in the pool store's advice?

What does the pool store say is happening?

What equipment do you have?

Is everything working?

What is the filter pressure?

Has the filter been cleaned?

Hello all,
Our numbers are:
FC - 0.5
CC - 3.0
PH - 7.2
TA - 250
CH - 500
CYA - 0 (was told we don’t need to worry about this as we are an inside pool?)
100,000 L fibreglass pool
Cartridge filter - Hayward

Background: We have taken care our fibreglass pool for 4 years now. We run a construction company who have installed many pools and we have had zero issues for the past 4 years. In Nov we had an algae bloom and worked using the pool store chemicals to get rid of it. This worked but then came back with pink algae. Again, we used their chemicals and eventually we gave up with what they said and did our own research as we had been following TFP threads for years but never took the leap. We cleaned up the pink algae beginning/mid of February. End of feb we had cloudy water again but our CYA levels were off the charts bc of the stabilizer pucks we were using to clean up the pink algae. So we drained the pool and it was clear a few days later. We ordered the Taylor2006c and it came last friday. This past weekend it started getting cloudy and we feared we possibly had algae returning again? Our chlorine levels drop if we don’t add bleach every day - even when no one swims. Over the past couple days we have been trying to get to 10 ppm of FC by adding bleach but every 12 hours we are back to 1 ppm. After 2 days we were finally able to get to 10 but again this am was at 1. So, all this to say we read that high TA could affect chlorine so we began to 2nd guess if we should be slamming or adjusting those TA levels first.
Now we are thinking we should drain the pool down to bring down CH and maybe start fresh. Then we can slam or adjust levels... thoughts? Currently have it draining which will take about 4-5 hours.

thanks for the advice... slam or adjust levels? And/or stop draining and try now?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Howdy and welcome to the forum.

First off there is no need to drain your pool for high CH if you have a fiberglass pool,... I have seen that mentioned multiple times here. Second I would expect if you are adding lots of Cl then something is consuming it. And with a CC of 3 that pretty much confirms it. Another thing that is mentioned for indoor pools a little bit of CYA does help with FC retention. I would have to chase down the thread that talked about it but someone will chime in soon. If you are going to SLAM you just need to adjust your pH before you start since the test is invalid at FC over 10, and I wouldn't worry about the Alkalinity at this point. Also, clean your filter often and brush during the SLAM to disrupt the membrane of what ever that pink goo is. That should help kill it

Those are the things that stick out to me from your post.

Reactions: jm_mccullough
high TA could affect chlorine
There is no effect on chlorine by TA. High pH can effect the chlorine effectiveness if there is no CYA in the water.
Add 20 ppm of CYA to your water. Use 10 ppm for your SLAM level FC.

Can you fill in your signature with your pool specs and equipment please. We can help you better this way. Have a look at mine below as an example. We need to know what type of filter you have.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.