HIGH salt

Motheresa

Silver Supporter
Jun 23, 2016
Pearland, TX
I let my pool go a little during the first part of this year so my salt level was low. I also acquired an algae population. In my attempt at balancing things, I began adding salt over a period of a couple of weeks. The equipment would tell me the salt level was increasing, but then it would drop. I was thinking maybe the algae had something to do with it so I just kept adding salt...A LOT. After a while, I figured SOMETHING had to be off because the number didn't seem to be rising in spite of all the salt I was adding. I took a sample to Leslie's and the salt level is over 5000ppm. Here are my questions:
1. Has my salt cell failed, which would be the reason it wasn't accurately reading the salt levels as I was adding?
2. If my salt cell was alright before, is there a chance I have ruined it by allowing the salt level to get so high?
3. How much water should I drain to get the level down?

20,000gal, SWG, plaster, Hayward pump, cartridge

1. When salt cells are scaled up or failing, they will start to read lower and lower salt levels. This is why you should always be testing the salt level independently so you know if the SWG is starting to read low. Get the Taylor K-1766

2. The SWG should shut itself down if the salt level get too high I think

3. Assuming you want around 3200ppm, you would need to drain and replace 1-3200/5000 = 36%

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.