High Salt Reading with In-Spec Current & Voltage

Seadweller

Aug 21, 2009
Tampa Bay Area
I've got an odd situation that I can't figure out, and neither can CircuPool, so I'm looking for input from someone knowledgeable with the electrical nuances of these systems.

In a nutshell, I've tested myself, with confirmation from my local pool store, the salt level in my pool, and it's 3,200ppm. The SWG is showing a reading of 5,500, and the "high salt" light is of course blinking. I've read about the PCB issue that causes high salt readings, but it's always associated with a high voltage reading. In my case, both the current and voltage readings are well within spec, and towards the lower end of the range. As I understand it, the cell doesn't actually read the salt level in the pool, but uses current and voltage to arrive at the level. As I also understand it, as long as the current and voltage are within spec, the SWG will continue to produce chlorine, regardless of the blinking "high salt" light.

The question is, if current and voltage are in spec, how/why is the SWG displaying such a high salt reading? The cell by the way is new, and these readings came about after installing the new cell.

I'm going by the assumption that the system can't be harmed by a possible defect with the cell if all electrical readings are within spec, but the high salt reading has me baffled.

Is the cell version correct? See pages 11, 12, and 21 of the Universal manual. The Universal, as my Inyo Crystal Pure, is a Hayward AquaRite SWG clone. The controllers of these SWG can be used with different cell sizes by changing the cell version setting. Now sure what the setting is suppose to be for your cell.

Indeed, there's quite a number of SWG and cell companies that OEM this equipment from I believe Ningbo C.F. Electronic Tech. I've seen the bill of lading for CircuPool, so I know it's who makes theirs. Crystal Pure, Lemonpool, BlueWorks, Crystal Blue and the list goes on.

The proper setting is F15, and I've confirmed the setting. I also tried C15, which is for the extended life version of the cell, and that made no difference. I believe even the current and voltage remained the same. It's got me totally perplexed. I'm tempted to put my old cell back in to see if the readings change back to normal.

Here's the cell versions for the Crystal Pure. Maybe you've got a missed labled 60K cell Try T15 for your setting. I don't think it can hurt the cell.
PL7701 F3 20,000 gallons
PL7700 F15 40,000 gallons
PL7703 T15 60,000 gallons

Thanks everyone...The cell types available are listed below. I don't have an option for a "T" cell type:

Si15=F-9
Si20=F-9
Si30=F-9
Si40=F-15
Si45=F-15
Si15 Plus=C-9
Si20 Plus=C-9
Si25 Plus=C-9
Si30 Plus=C-9
Si40 Plus=C-15
SI45 Plus=C-15

I tried the C-15 setting, and it made no difference. I'll see if I can find a part number on the cell.

So it's unanimous, everyone, including CircuPool is stumped! :)

Thanks for the help everyone. I guess I'll just let it run since there's no electrical oddities, and ignore the salt level from the system. I manually test the salt levels which will ensure they're correct for chlorine generation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, I figured I'd update this as I did a bit more probing with the system. The manual that I have shows only selections for cell types F (for normal cells of varying output), and C (for the extended life cells of varying output). I decided I was going to try the C9 cell type, as I had only tried F9, F15 and C15, none of which corrected the issue. To my surprise, while scrolling through the cell types, T-15 appeared. The system is now running on T-15, and for the moment, it looks like the salt level reading has returned to normal. The voltage and current readings have actually moved up into the middle of the specified range. Given that the new cell is a "T-15 equivalent," I believe this should rectify the issue.

Thanks to everyone for helping out! Without your input, I probably would have just let it run on F15 and put black tape over the "High Salt" light.:cool:

Reactions: laprjns and JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.